Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 05:45 PM   #11

Finally managed to steal some time to get the final shaping done - apart from the odd tweak here and there perhaps I think it's about done. Really pleased with the way it's turning out so far, and I'm just sooo relieved that I managed to hollow out the back face with the Dremel without smashing it to pieces (been there, done that... and I had no wish to repeat the experience!).
Tomorrow I'll start on the rest of the components and maybe a bit of assembly if I get on well enough.
More photos when I have something to share.
:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-03-31 22.00.09.jpg (56.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-03-31 22.03.32.jpg (62.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-03-31 22.02.18.jpg (48.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by mechanism man; 03-31-2014 at 05:58 PM.
mechanism man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #12

WOW! You must have the patience of a saint. I know my Dremel would have eaten that bird alive. LOL Congrats on making it through in one piece and great job on the cutting. I'll be looking forward to see how it all comes together.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evilbadger For This Useful Post:
mechanism man (03-31-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #13

That is one good lookin bird. The shaping really makes it pop. Where did you get the pattern? I would really like a copy of it. I can't wait till its done, well I guess that I will have to.

We are taught by every person we meet.

It's Not Need, It's My Right.
2nd Amendment
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Bill For This Useful Post:
mechanism man (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:00 AM   #14

Amazing!
I am astounded that you consider 1/8" material plenty of thickness to allow room for
hollowing with a dremel! Great work!
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse
Spirithorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spirithorse For This Useful Post:
mechanism man (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #15

Hi Wild Bill, the pattern is one that I produced for myself just for this project, but I'll more than happily share it if you wish. I simply found a photo of an eagle in flight that I liked the look of, and then used Photoshop to draw over the major feather shapes to produce the cut lines. I got it wrong in a few places (feet and head/neck area) so had to adjust on the fly so to speak as I cut it, so I'd make sure that I change the pattern to reflect the changes. I've obviously done it as small as I can for a reason, but it would look great a lot bigger too - not really thought about it until now! I'll have a look at the forum and see if there's a good place to post it in a day or so after I've adjusted it.
The scroll saw and me have always had a very mechanical relationship, in that I've only ever used to cut gear wheels, frames, cams and other mechanical doohickys for the various orreries, machines and automata that I've built over the years. It's been brilliant training over the past decade or so though, so now I've started cutting more decorative shapes I'm able to cut relatively accurately without too much problem, producing patterns of this type is all new to me though, so I'm kind of picking it up as I go along. I've never been one to follow the crowd, I'd much prefer to find out what's possible and what's not by a series of (hopefully) ever decreasing disasters - much more fun than getting instant knowledge from a book that might tell you that what you are attempting is only possible by a 3rd Dan black belt in scroll saw wizardry and that you really should try something much more simple. After all, what could possibly go wrong...?
Keep smiling you inspirational lot, catch you all later.

Last edited by mechanism man; 04-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:58 AM   #16

Shaping finished and now fitted to its black stained backing (1/32" ply) which has given it some much needed strength and stability. Backing behind the wing tip feathers still to be trimmed, but we're getting there. A solid afternoon in the workshop later today - can't wait!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-03 23.14.19.jpg (61.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png 2014-04-03 23.17.11.png (614.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by mechanism man; 04-04-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #17

Looking great! Thanks for sharing the Work in Progress.
God Bless! Spirithorse
Spirithorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spirithorse For This Useful Post:
mechanism man (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #18
Just Goofy !

WOW, that is a beautiful piece of workmanship. I love it. I would like to ask a question also. Did you carve the concave back before you cut the piece or after it was cut. I sure would like to make something like that, because it is a challenge. Thanks for showing us.

Visit me at--- www.woodcraftsnquilts.com
ubgoofy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ubgoofy2003 For This Useful Post:
mechanism man (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #19

Hi, all the fret work was cut first whilst the wood was flat and stable, and then all the carving and hollowing out was done after the basic shape was cut. This method certainly works for me, I guess the secret is to take it slow and gentle, especially when using the Dremel to hollow out the back. I also use nice new scalpel blades for carving the front which gives much more control and puts much less stress skinny fret work as you shave off the unwanted material - there's not much wood there to go at it too heavy handed.
I've got the other components cut and fitted now so I'll post more photos a bit later.
Have a great Sunday folks.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
ichibob

Looks stunning just as is! Looking forward to seeing the finished result.
ichibob is offline   Reply With Quote