Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

Default An 8 lobed bowl just about ready for the finish

I think for a first bowl like this, it turned out great. I have a little more sanding and finishing to get done and I keep trying to fix the hole in one of the lobes. I decided I best quit trying on that and as I will cut a big hole through the lobe so I know next time to be careful about the drilling of entry holes. I did just like the instructions say but the dern thing slipped out of my hand. Happens when old art locks up. Grrr and being left handed doesn't help either. If only I had packed the wood glue and sawdust in tighter it would not have re exposed the hole. I've very happy with this bowl. It's one of Carole's bowl from her book Wooden Bowls. Have a great day Fay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 lobed bowl (640x480).jpg (27.0 KB, 50 views)
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

Fay, you have been one busy beaver lately. I like your bowls as they are nicely done, don't be too harsh on yourself as you do just fine. As you cut your wood, save some of the sawdust as you can mix it with glue and make wood filler out of it. It will match your wood when you fill the drill holes and you will not see the imperfections. Just a tip if you haven't tried this fix.

Mike
campasano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #3

I did that, but I don't think I packed it in tightly enough or should have put more in the hole. It looks great now. It's going to be a nice bowl. I like it and so does Mom... Haven't showed to Sis as yet...Fay
Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #4

Fay,
Bowl making can become addictive quite easily. Once you begin to get confidence in being able to successfully make bowls ( you are making great bowls btw ) you can begin to experiment on shape and with mixing woods in the making of the bowl blank. The variations are endless. Looking forward to seeing more of your bowls.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #5

Thank you. I know I will be making more bowls and a few more boxes too. Some of my finishes came today so tomorrow I will work on the nautilus shell and maybe even cut out another bowl. I brought that book up to my room so I can do a little more reading and maybe try some thing else in the book. Have a great evening Fay
Old 01-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #6

Nice work, thanks for sharing.
55Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Staying Positive

Fay keep your glue and finishes indoors until it warms up. If the hole is in a reasonable area, enlarge it and put a ribbon through it for hanging the bowl up for display. No one will ever know it was a mistake.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #8

You can hardly even see the mishap. I put a coat of shellac on it and it seeped into the wood so I'm guessing it's supposed to do that. Will sand with the steel wool and put another cat of shellac on it. I have a letter opener and the nautilus shell to finish up too but will work on those later. I'm a bit tuckered out after smooshing the garbage. They charge if the lid is up on the dumpster when they pick it up so I have to smoosh ( smash ) it down so it won't do that. Now Mom wants her bed made so it doesn't look like very much shop time today, but that's ok. Have a great day . Thanks for all the compliments and such Fay