Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #1

Default My nautilus shell is really comming along

Here are a couple of pictures of the nautilus shell that I'm working on. After the shell is completed I will make a stand for it and it'll look great. I think I will put a clear finish on it. I think the knots on the wood is giving the shell an interesting look. I have about 5 more segment sections to glue up but have more sanding to do on this shell before I do that. I'll post again when I have it completed. I'm having lots of fun and I have Little Gwennie to help out with the sanding and such. Sorry these are not real good pictures. I took them with my cell phone as my camera needs to be charged up. Enjoy,,, it looks like a baby now but wait until it grows up a little more....Fay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nautilus shell-1 (640x480).jpg (26.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Nautilus shell -2 (640x480).jpg (22.7 KB, 110 views)
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #2

very cool, can't wait.
Don R Brower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Very nice! I found a half round rasp is good for smoothing the inside edges of the curl. When i finished mine i put Danish oil on it, let it dry good then put Woodturners Finish on it, a water based poly. A hair dryer is good for speeding up the poly, drys very quickly.
Gary beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

It's really growing up. I first thought it was going to be so tiny, but then didn't read far enough in the instructions and found I had to cut more wedges and glue them up. I was going to glue up another section but it is so dark now that I will not get to it until tomorrow. I'm working on 2 other projects between glue ups and the like. I have a letter opener drying now that has a finish on it and an ornament stand that is glued up and clamped. Will get that on the base tomorrow also. I started cutting the last ornament today too but will finish that tomorrow also. After the section to glue up I have two more to glue up. Thanks for every thing Gary... Have a great evening Fay
Old 01-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Wow that's cool. Where did you get the pattern for it?
calcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #6

The nautilus shell is pretty much done except for the finishes. I ordered it and it was supposed to be here today but has not come as yet. It should be here soon so will put that on once it gets here and after it is all done. I will post a picture of it. The pattern I found in the Fall of 2009 issue of the SSW&C Mag ( think that's the year it came out ) I left it in the shop and it is too dark to go get it. I think. It has pictures of some puzzle boxes on the front of the mag. I found my copy at Amazon ... Have a great day. Fay Oh there are videos on making this shell.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #7

I nave to make a correction. The instructions for the shell is in the Summer 2012 issue of the mag. I just looked as I was working on my bowl so I thought I best look to see if I had the information right. Have a great day Fay
Old 01-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing it.
55Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #9

I've got the first finish on it now so will go back down ot have a look once it is dry. Have a great day Fay
Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #10

Very nice Fay I can't wait to see it finished.