Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

Default Tatting shuttle box

This is my own drawing and so far I like it. I tried to shape it to look like a real tatting shuttle with thread on it but that didn't go over too well so I shaped it like a tatsy tatting shuttle and it has a lid and a real shuttle will be put on the lid for a handle. I was going to shape it so I could put real tatting thread on it. All my shuttles fit in the box. I have a nice smooth surface on the lid but need to work more on the box. Seems I can't do a bowl so I guess I will make a few boxes for fun and then later try another bowl. Here are a few pictures of my first box. Have a great day .... Fay.. oh I used a pine wood and the lid is made from a hard wood but don't know what kind of wood it is and it was hard to cut it and shape it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tatting shuttle box-1 (640x480).jpg (34.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Shuttle box with lid-2 (640x480).jpg (32.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Shuttle box, side view-3 (640x480).jpg (31.5 KB, 36 views)
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
cute and crafty

I like the shaping--looks nice and smooth! Post pix when you put the handle on--I'm not sure what a shuttle looks like. Thanks.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

That looks great! I love the idea of using a shuttle as a handle.

Shaping it as a real shuttle (with the box inside the bobbin area?) would be wild. You'd probably have to wind it with rope!

This is one of those projects I can't mention to my wife without creating work for myself

--Rob
Arcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

They have some nice # 3 tatting thread that would work as it is a thick thread. Carole I'll post pictures when I get the whole thing done along with some tatting shuttles of different types. I taught myself how to tat. It's easy once you get started and there are basically only 2 knots to tat. It's a lot like crocheting. So just knotting and making picots and following instructions and such. Yeah right, like I can't follow instructions for the bowl. Funny how that can be. One thing is so easy for a person and hard for the next person so that goes to show how much different we all are. I'll get a bowl made some time after the holidays. I have a tatting shuttle that is not my favorite so will use that one for a handle or I can try making one out of scrap wood. So I will mess around with that tomorrow. I sure like this box and it a great place to put my shuttles in. I'll be able to find them. Have a great day Fay
Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Senior member...Sweeet

Looking sweeeeet Fay.........you go girl. You seem to be a pretty determined gal so I know we will see a bowl from you soon. One nice thing about tatting, no sawdust.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #6

No saw dust in tatting, but do need the peepers for tatting. Some of those threads are so fine to work with. Have a great day Fay
Old 12-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior Southerner

Nice looking box, Fay.

I must admit, when you first started talking about tatting shuttles I had to do some Wiki research to figure out what you were talking about... It sounded like something used by a tattoo artist??

I am now more educated and enriched in knowledge! Thanks!

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."
Pinelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
cute and crafty

Fay, can you post a picture of your tatting? I haven't heard the term in ages, and I don't really recall what it looks like. Thanks!

Follow me on my blog:
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #9

Ok Carole here is a sample of my tatting and they are sure pretty. Enjoy... Fay In one of the pictures, there are some tatting shuttles they are those little plastic things that have thread on them. I think I'm going to put one on the box for a handle. I have a silver shuttle that used to belong to my great grandma. I keep that one in a special place. I hope you enjoy looking at these pretties....
Old 12-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
cute and crafty

Thanks, Fay. Your work is lovely, and it's so nice that you have a shuttle that belonged to your great grandma. The tatting looks somewhere between lace and crochet. I used to crochet, but never made anything this pretty.

Follow me on my blog: