Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Default First attempt at a bowl,,, CAROLE!!!!

I need a little bit of help..... My rings are not lining up. I'm wondering if it is because I was not able to stay on the line. but this is not a total waste as I can make it into a pencil tray for the shop. This is the first time using the table tilt on my scroll saw. I don't think it is too bad for a start and I'll tell you,, I like the table tilt. So I'm not able to cut another ring on this one because it will come out too narrow. So I'll leave it as it is and like I said, make it into a pencil tray. I set the tilt to a 30 degree angle. But I'm hoping the next bowl will turn out better. Any comments are welcome. Have a great day all... Fay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First bowl-1 (640x480).jpg (27.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg First bowl -2 (640x480).jpg (30.5 KB, 62 views)
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

The fact that the rings don't "line up" suggests the wrong angle.

It's curved when I want straight, and straight when I want curved.

DW-788, Delta Midi Lathe
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #3

I would agree. I have never gone beyond 25 degrees. You can still salvage what you have . Get another piece of wood and change degrees. You will be AMAZED at what a lot of sanding will save.
flhtri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #4

It's not a loss at all. I made it into a nice little pencil or Dremel tool tray. So not bad for a first try. I have to agree on the angle thing. Will have to give it another try soon. I'm happy with my little tray. I think now I'm going to make a drawing for a box for all my tatting shuttles and make a little wooden shuttle to put on top of it for a handle. Now to go make my drawings and then tomorrow I will cut that out, but will not use the table tilt until I make another try at the bowls. This is fun! Have a great day... Fay
Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

A combination of not perfectly flat floor, not perfectly flat bench, and cheap saw made my first bowl look quite similar, since my angles were off by about 4 degrees. Accurate wood thickness measurements, and a protractor (the one on my iPhone, but an analog one would work) made the second attempt a lot prettier!
Skysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
cute and crafty

Fay, did you make your own pattern? From your photo, it looks as though your ring is quite wide. If your ring is wide, you need a larger angle than if the ring is narrower. I don't know if you've received the bowl book yet, but it shows you how both the thickness of the wood and the width of the ring determine the angle you need to use for the rings to line up.

When I first started making bowls, I figured that any angle would do, and ruined my first attempt. I think a lot of folks do as I did, and just jump in without understanding the relationships, and wonder why it didn't work. Your ring was cut at too small an angle, which is why it hangs over the remainder of the wood. You certainly can sand it and save the project, but before you try again, either follow the instructions in a project or compute your angle by going to scrollmania.com and going to the angle calculator. Round up the result to the next whole number, add an extra degree for safety and you'll be in good shape.

Good luck!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #7

Thanks Carole. Yes I did receive the book and was reading after I did this. I did save it and made it into a tray to put small tools in like my Dremel drill bits and sanders that I use the most. I'll keep at it and see how it works out. I did draw out my tray and I did make the rings a little too wide I think. I had trouble cutting the first one out so I used a scarp off of that to drill the entry hole with. This is just scrap wood and not large enough to make a larger bowl or tray. It was fun to play with and will work at it until I get it right. I'm one who like to jump in with both feet and I usually miss some thing, but then later get a better job done. Thanks again and will read and study more of the book. Have a great evening Fay
Old 12-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #8

Well I tried another bowl and it's a no go. Can't seem to get the angle right at all. I made the rims narrower and tried every thing to get it right and no luck so instead of cursing and such I put it aside for now. I can't figure out how to use that calculation on that scrollmania site at all so that goes to show what a big dummy I am. Not to mention I lost my best drill bit for drilling the entry holes. I think that could be a problem also. I can't get the bit to go all the way through because the bit is too short. I'm going to have a find a longer one. the piece od wood I used today was a little less than a half inch and made the rim narrower and no luck. Will have to keep at it until I get it right. Grrrr. I do like the table tilt on my saw. Well so much for Friday the 13th..... Have a great day Fay
Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
cute and crafty

Fay, for your next attempt, please use a pattern, and start with the basic round bowl. That way, all the thinking will have been done for you about ring width and cutting angle. And you must use the correct thickness of wood for the instructions to work. If you go thinner, like from 3/4" to 1/2", the cutting angle changes drastically. That's why I have the thin wood bowls in a separate chapter.

Also, check out my video Drilling the Perfect Entry Hole - YouTube. My channel is "scrollergirl" and I have all lots of videos about bowl-making you'll find useful. The tiny drill bits only come in shorter lengths. You start by using the guide, then once the drilling angle is set, you remove the guide and continue drilling through. It really does work, and the smaller the bit you can use, the less sanding you'll have to do.

Don't make things harder for yourself than necessary. Force yourself to start at the beginning, and you'll have a much easier time.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Last edited by handibunny; 12-13-2013 at 05:19 PM.
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handibunny For This Useful Post:
SteveK (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #10

Thanks Carole.. I asked for some wood for Christmas and will give this a try. I did not have a piece of wood large enough for the round bowl nor a good working scanner to enlarge the pattern. It says to copy at 100% and I can't do that with out a scanner so will go to the UPS store next time I go home and make a couple of copies. I'm sure I'll get it down pat. Have a great day . Lots of time to get it.... Fay