Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Scrollin' through college

Default WIP thin intarsia/segmentaion projects

Well here is my first try at intarsia using my 1/4 inch scraps. And two segmentation piece I have been working on. Horse is made of two different purple heart boards with oak accents. The other two are segmentation pieces out of oak. I have just cut these since Friday. Nervous about sanding the intarsia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5952[1].jpg (62.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5953[1].jpg (76.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by plainnotpinned; 07-19-2010 at 01:00 PM.
plainnotpinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #2

Great work.
keep us posted
Larry
comreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Laying into Inlay

Beautiful work......!!!!
I'm glad you used a very light wood for the main on the horse, purple heart has a tendency to get very dark over time.. And the other pieces will work out well as well.
Again, beautiful work.....!!!!!
Aas far as shaping, I'm no expert. I've never done intarsia, (I know, what's taking me so long?!? lol.), but I know you can, so just do it........

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
No task is too tedious for Art.
Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
Featherwood Woodcrafts
JimSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Naughty, but nice!

Hi Joe - shaping is pretty much a subjective issue. Some folks like to do little more than round over the edges and let the grain and colour of the various woods speak for themselves in the design. Other folks - like me - go for a more sculptural layered 3D effect. You have to make a call on what you want to do taking into consideration your personal preferences regarding the look you are trying to achieve and the options the materials you are using give you

Reading your present work, the fact that your pieces are made from 1/4" thick wood limits the options considerably to simple rounding over, particularly with regard to the horse. With the racoon and wolf you could add some depth to the shaping by lifting some of the central pieces - ie those surrounded on all sides by other pieces - by placing a small 'false' spacer piece underneath them. Again this is totally subjective.

A few tips to point you in various directions

1. If you prefer a more fully shaped look think about cutting your patterns from thicker stock - 1/2" minimum - to give you more scope for shaping

2. Using this 1/2" stock, thin some sections, usually edge parts down to 1/4" and lift central parts up to 3/4" using spacers.

3. Study real world images or sculptural models of your subjects to get a feel of how they look in real life, where are the high points and the low points, and try to aim for a compressed version of these in your shaping. Take into account that the secret behind Intarsia shaping is usually to create an illusion of depth rather than actual real life depth

4. Study the work of accomplished Intarsia artists on the forum and the WIP's and challenges of the same and look at the photos of shaping to give you ideas of how the projects are achieved. If you want to know more details contact the artists and ask them.

5. Experiment and don't be afraid of making mistakes. We all do this. its part of the learning process

Hope this helps

Btw - very nice cutting!

Dozing off? - nah, I'm creatively thinking with my eyes closed!
jim_mex is offline   Reply With Quote