Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Staying Positive

Default Craft show displays---WIP

Well I finally got some other things caught up so I can begin building my display walls. I have a few questions and need some advice.

First, the over all measurements are 4' x 6'. I used 2x2's which you will see I routed out to frame the pegboard.

First photo is materials ready for 2nd pass through the router.
2nd is close up milled 2x2's.
3rd is wall ready to be screwed together. One is already complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg display-pics 001.jpg (87.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg display-pics 002.jpg (44.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg display-pics 003.jpg (69.4 KB, 53 views)

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Staying Positive

Now I will try and explain what the next steps will be.
I'm going to attach 3 eye bolts to the top so I can attach the wall to my canopy, one on each end and one in the center.
Then I'm going to add 1 eye bolt on either side to run a line through so that I can hang my counter weights, which I will show pics of later, they are buried in the back of the truck right now. Thanks for the Idea Kim they worked out great.

Now for the fun stuff.

I'm thinking of using some 1x2 firring strips and attach them to the back side of the wall to add some support for these shelf standards.

I'm going to use 3 shelves 4 feet long with a little lip on them so I can stand items up on them.

First question.
Do you think they will have enough support with the added firring strip on the back side of the wall?

Then I'm going to make a couple of sign placards for pricing information etc to add to the walls as well.

I will eventually find enough time to paint the frames but I'm running out of time this week already and trying to assemble these buggers was fun by myself. I'd get one side in and the other would pop out. Grrr. Only took 2 hours to fiddle fart around with these.

Finally I'm going to build 4 bases out of 2 x 4's that the walls will rest on to help stabilize them.

I'll post more pics as I go but I'm mildly concerned that the wall will be to flimsy to support the shelving. I'm going to go as light weight on the shelves as I can.

How else can I stiffen the peg board with out adding much more weight to the walls?

Do you think if I add some 1 by 2 stock on the face running horizontal with a matching piece on the back side, hidden by the shelf, and glue and screw them together this will add enough support?

I'll have more pics in the WIP later tomorrow. I want to cut some stuff with a small blade for a while....LOL

As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Last edited by wood-n-things; 06-21-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
living life

Mike, If you put the track from the top to the bottom of the pegboard, the U-shaped metal track should have quite a bit of strength. If the shelves are lightweight, then I don't think that you will have a problem with a firring strip on the back, especially if it extends to butt up against the frame on the top and bottom. You might add a metal strap screwed into both the firring strip and the frame. I doubt that you'd gain much with horizontal strips.

What do you have in mind for a lightweight shelf? You might be able to get by with 3/8 ply with a firing strip glued on top where needed as a lip. If a strip is too thick for a lip, you might put it at the back of the shelf and put a thinner lip. The strip(s) on top will add strength to the shelf. It won't support gallon paint cans, but should hold some puzzles, especially if there is not very long runs between shelf supports.

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Staying Positive

The furthest their will be in between shelf supports is 2 feet. I'll bring in from both side 1 foot and that will leave a 2 foot span. I can come in further but then the ends would not be supported very well.

The shelving material I have on hand right now is some 1/2" particle board. This is just temporary as I do not think it will hold up to the abuse of being tossed into the back end of my truck.

Unfortunately I feel like I have been hemorrhaging money lately and I need to try and use some materials I have on hand.

Thanks for the response.

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
living life

The particle board should be plenty strong. Instead of adding a lip, you might just rout a groove. That will make it a bit lighter and should accomplish the same thing as a lip. Take it easy on it and it should last a while. The 2' max span will make it so you don't have any sag.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Staying Positive

I thought about a groove, I'll see what I come up with tomorrow. I wasn't planning on running the rail all the way from top to bottom as the pieces I have are not 6' long.

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
living life

If the firring strips are 6' long, then the shorter track should be fine.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Staying Positive

Thanks Jim, I'll head back to the store for 2 more...LOL

Before I go to the trouble of installing the shelf standards.

Do you guys think it will look ugly? Will the standards detract from the over all display? Should I cut them down to be as minimal as possible.

I need feedback, the Show is Saturday...<grin>

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Last edited by wood-n-things; 06-22-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #9

First, I really like how you routed out the grooves for the pegboard...dang I wish I would have thought of that, as it would lighten the load considerably instead of double siding the 1 x 2's with pegboards! Great Job!!! Might have to redo some of mine!

I agree with Jim on the firring strips, they should add enough strength as to hold the tracks and weight of your items. However, I have a tendancy to use 1 x 2's instead of firring strips as they seem to be a lot straighter, don't have the radius on them to where they sit more flush against your pegboard...but that is my preference, and possibly the quality of the firring strips at our local lowes is just crappy. Actually, most the wood these days is just crappy...ya gotta spend hours picking thru boards just so they are straight and such...what's up with that...quality control has just went down the tubes these days and the prices of lumber just gets higher...oops, I will get off my soap box - lol!

I have also considered running a 10' stretch of two 2 x 4's on the bottom for additional support. Initially I was going to drill aligned holes thru the 2x4's and 1x2's and use carriage bolts to squeeze them all together, but then I was concerned about the integrity of the firring/1x2's. So, my plan was flawed...perhaps using carriage bolts, down the length of the board, on either side of each leg/support would help 'squeeze' them together to allow enough support. Does that make sense? I stink at explaining things...more a hands on gal.

On the rails, I would use as short as you can get away with (minimizing your cost), but keeping them all the same length for asthetics. I know you are short on time (for this weekend) but when time allows, painting the entire display (supports, shelves, rails, etc.) all one color will help keep it pleasing to the eye without the different pieces and parts distracting from your art. I think hot pink would be a great color...just kiddin'!

I am rough and tough on my panels too, and have repainted them continually. I switched to a heavy duty laquer spray enamel and it seems to be holding up a lot better than the cheaper spray paint. I also started wrapping them with old sheets or blankets when packing/carrying, cutting down on the scrapes and dents. Don't use fuzzy blankets tho...I had some old felt pads used by movers...anyway the wood snagged on them and left me picking fuzzies forever off of the display boards.

I think the particle board shelves are a good choice, since they are a lot lighter and do not have the tendancy to warp like plywood. For the lip you could use the thinner craft boards (in the pre-cut section at lowes) instead of a 1 x 2, but weight wise there is not much difference and if you already have them then I would go with them to save money.

I know what you mean about cost...these displays can add up in a hurry!!! Not to mention the time involved in creating them! I am glad that the weight idea worked for you, I think that was the cheapest part of the display - lol! Sorry I do not live closer I would be over there lending ya a hand.

Good luck, I hope I helped.
Thanx ~ Kim
lkbraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Staying Positive

Thanks for the help.

The firring strips I'm referring too are what I got when I asked for 1x2's. I'm in Podunk and I have to accept what the local store has on hand.

For instance I can order in poplar (for my puzzles) but then I can't hand pick it, as they will get just how ever many boards I order..LOL So I really have to capitalize when I make my every other week or so trek to Missoula.

I think I'm not going to do 2 2x4'sx 10'. I'm going to build some feet for each panel. I only have 2 panels for right now but will expand as time and budget allows. I'll post some pics of what I come up with.

The little weights turned out to be rather spendy all in all. The end caps alone were $5.69 each x 8. Then the piece of 3" pvc was 11.00 and then the U-bolts were like 1.79 each x 4. So about $70.00 by the time I bought pvc glue & cleaner. I'm glad the concrete turned out to be free.

I'm not going to paint the pegboard today just all the pine. I got some black enamel, I chose the enamel because latex was $15.00 for a quart and enamel was $8.00 I can clean my brush for the difference.

HOT INK It's not..Just lightish red...Now that is an Idea. LOL

Thanks for your input! It, and you are appreciated.

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Last edited by wood-n-things; 06-22-2010 at 02:02 PM.