Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #1

Default what do you do about plaid clothing in your portraits??

Currently I am working on a project for my cousin whose dad passed away not too long ago (my dad's brother). I have a question, though, and I may have placed this on the wrong forum.
As you can see from the photo and the pattern I am working on my Uncle Dale was fond of Plaid shirts, as many Pennsylvanians are. It was a trademark, though, that many of his nieces and nephews remember from when we were all younger. I could just make it a plain shirt and leave the pockets, etc. but that wouldn't be Uncle Dale.
So, my question, then, is...what the heck does everyone else do with plaid clothing in a scroll saw portrait? It seems so busy if you try to leave even some of it in. Taking it all out likewise changes the whole effect. Anyone else ever had this problem to deal with? I'd really like to get this done for my cousin before I go to Pennsylvania for my family reunion in August. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

Bubba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jesus and uncle dale portrait.jpg (92.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Uncle Dale and cousin Mary.jpg (86.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #2

You could use wood burning for the shirt.

Living well is the best revenge

Visit my gallery

Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
Big_red_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_red_S View Post
You could use wood burning for the shirt.
Hadn't considered that. Wouldn't that be a whole lot of tracing to transfer the design to the wood??
I've about decided to go with a plain shirt and let his face speak for itself. LOL If they didn't know him after 86 years the shirt wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Bubba
Old 06-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Okie_Arkie_Wood_Cutter

I went thru the plaid shirt issue with my grandson and his cousin. I started and chucked on don't know how many 8" x 10" blanks into the designer firewood discards. Finally, I came to the same conclusion that you stated in your message, that the face, facial expression, and not the clothes makes the cutting capture the essence of the person.

Okie's Cuttings and Patterns
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb24/okiearkie/

darrell, the okiearkie
Okie_Arkie_Wood_Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

This is just a thought, and maybe I should keep it to myself! LOL. You could cut the shirt area all out then place a piece of plaid fabric behind it, or print out that portion of the shirt and place that behind it.
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Sweet and dusty

Wow Sappy, what a great idea! If I had to chose I would use some fabric to make it more real! Otherwise I would cut out the shirt and then burn the plaid, by using a lot of shadow and with different temperature you create different colors.

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.
frieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Support Our Troops

One of you fine designers made a pattern for me showing Mike with a plaid shirt. I moaned, I groaned but felt that if the designer took the time to make the pattern, I would do the cutting.

It turned out well!
pupper70 is offline   Reply With Quote