Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Works in Process
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

Default hammer's tulip

Thank you for the pattern Hammer. I don't do intarsia...yet...but I took a copy of your intarsia tulip posted on 1/29. Photoshop let me reduce the height by about 20% while leaving the width the same. I redrew it as an outline, printed it out and turned it into a standup puzzle, after three preliminary cuts did not work as I planned. I now have to cut 16 more of them for my granddaughter's 1st grade class for spring.
I used 3/4" poplar and a #5 skip tooth or reverse tooth, depended on which one I grabbed, blade to cut the first one. It is not yet sanded and the pattern is still on the front side. They are to be painted by the kids as an art project during recess or free time. I think I may give them a quick dip in Watco natural to seal the wood but I will try painting some scrap pieces first to see if that works. If not, maybe a spray of dewaxed shellac will do.

I will post some more pictures in the puzzle section when I am finished sanding them and I will also paint one as an example for the class.

As usual all criticisms and comments are greatly appreciated.

george

tulip pattern.jpg

tulip pattern cut front.jpg

tulip pattern cut back.jpg

delta 650, hawk G426
sawdustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Sawdust Maker

Can I join your class Mr. Sawdustus? Please, Please, Please!? I promise I`ll sit real quite here in the corner and not make any noise or aggravate the other kids (except that Australian with the funny hat or maybe that jim-mex kid). Honest, I`ll be super-duper good and this time, I won`t unscrew that big plug on the bottom of the air compressor.

"Music takes us places language alone can not"--Glenn Frey

Sawdust on the saw table looks like progress.
Jim McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Naughty, but nice!

Hi George - If Jim wants tulip's I'll go halves to stick him on a plane to Holland - and if you send himoff quick before Lufthansa strikes then there's a slight chance he might not get a flight back - LOL!

Nice project.
A couple of thoughts. First, don't seal them. Usually the teachers prefer the paints to dry pretty quick before the kids make a mess and it also tends to avoid a boredom issue - visions of kids 'playfully' attacking each other with wet tulips. Secondly, if you have access to a small router with something like an 1/8 or 3/16th round over bit with guide I'd be tempted to whizz them around it just to get rid of those sharp edges on the main tulip shape before cutting the puzzle parts

Good luck! ...... and just ignor Jim, something about that Christian name that brings out the evil in folks!

Dozing off? - nah, I'm creatively thinking with my eyes closed!

Last edited by jim_mex; 02-21-2010 at 11:15 PM.
jim_mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

Yes you can Jim, and if you have any questions just ask them. Thanks for the suggestions Jim_Mex. I do have a trim router and small guide bit but I find it faster and safer to use a 120 or 180 grit sanding mop on all the pieces after I have cut them (depends on the wood used and size of the pieces). When set at a low speed on the drill press, it makes quick work of all the edges of all the pieces without sacrificing the integrity of the puzzle. As for the finish...you just saved me hours of work...I had forgotten about the dry time.

george

delta 650, hawk G426
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #5

Nice puzzle George.
http://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Haggard3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #6

I am proud to have contributed to this project. Although it is you that came up with the different concept of making a puzzle out of it....the cutting is great the idea is original and I can't wait to see the painted ones.

Thanks for using my pattern and posting the results....

Sincerely

Jay
HAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

You're welcome Jay. I have cut 10 of them so far and have 8 more to go. Then comes the sanding. I will paint one of them as an example for the class since they are for my granddaughters 1st grade class. I hope to do that tomorrow between shoveling duties and will post the results in the puzzle section as soon as I am done. I did shrink the height of the puzzle by 2 inches or so to make it more stable so it is actually a little stubbier than the pictures in my original post.

george

delta 650, hawk G426