Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

Donjor
Wood Finishing and Painting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
JTM

Default Food coloring as a stain

I was just wondering if any one has used food coloring as a stain? If so how do you use it. Thank you.

JTM
Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
scroller and moderator

I have used the paste type and I've mixed it with a bit of water until I got the color I wanted and it worked well.
Diane
PuffityDragon on AFSP
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky788scroller

I havent used it myself, but I do know the colors will fade pretty quickly. Toni and sue use a leather dye thats very brilliant , I would use that as opposed to food coloring. Dale
lucky788scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to miamw

I agree. I have used food coloring as a stain before and it does fade. Also, unless you do use the paste, it doesn't go very far. The wood soaks it up like crazy. I haven't tried the leather dyes yet but I would imagine they would be better not only in color but also in applying it.

We are the music makers.
We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788
miamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #5

I have not used food color, but I have used leather dye on several projects. In particular Cordovan makes in good cherry color on maple.

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
and website www.billswoodntreasures.com
utbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
Laying into Inlay

I've used food coloring for the dowels in a baby's rattle. I chose food coloring for health reasons. I'm not sure if it will fade. It looked pretty good though. I let it dry really well, then I gave it a couple of coats of mineral oil, (again baby saftey), to protect the food coloring.

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
No task is too tedious for Art.
Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
Featherwood Woodcrafts
JimSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Pattern Person

Send a message via MSN to Andy

I've used food coloring on a few projects. I didn't want the vibrant color of leather dye and it worked well. It did fade, yes, but that's exactly what I wanted. After 2 years the wood (Baltic Birch ply in most cases) is still obviously red, yellow, and green. That's all I wanted and expected from it and feel it worked successfully. So my advice is, determine what short term and long term affect you want, and it just might work if soft, subtle color is what you're after.

Mine was liquid, right out of the bottle, brushed on and wiped off like using stain on a floral pattern. The subdued colors after 2 years are really quite appealing.

Andy
Old 02-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Gone to the Dark Side

Here are some ideas for you to experiment with.

I haven't used it for colouring wood, but I have used it to colour photographs and they haven't faded.

The trick was to mix it with some vinegar(S?) to give it some bite.

So I would experiment with probably a washcoat of shellac to prevent the wood from drinking it all, and also to prevent blotches. Followed with the food coloring mixed with a bit of vinegar.

How about coloring the Shellac or lacquer with it?
or Oil?
Although I would think that it probably wouldn't mix well with oil if it's water based.

What about Tin-tex (S?) powder laundry dye, that probably would mix with oil and other finishes. Also probably would dilute in a bit of water to color the same as the food coloring.

Maybe Tin-tex would be worth a try in Alcoohol, or mineral spirit?

Mac, or anyone else, if you have experimented with any of these finishes, what were your results?

Curious,
Marcel

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 02-19-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Marcel in Longueuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #9

Read in a Judy Gale Roberts article that a fellow needed to color a rain slicker yellow and used mustard . Said it worked really well.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Banned

Default Food Coloring

Jim,

Being you want to keep the stain 100% safe, this is what professionals do when they are using water dye stains like the popular "aniline dyes" to get some color pentration into their finishes.

Normally, they use resin binders, or chemical mordents, to generally "drive the dye colors into the woods."

Here, is what I suggest that you do, you will need a clean sponge, cloth, or brush and some clean water to "wet down the wood." The water will open up the wood fibres and the grains to allow for better color penetration into the wood.

Then, you will need to allow the wood to dry, depending on the wood you are using, you may need to repeat the wetting process. After the wood is dry, sand off the raised fibres, and blow or wipe off the wood, and then apply the water stain.

Depending on the wood and the strenght of the stain you mix up, you will have be the judge of the final color.

As with all new finishing techniques you should always want to begin with "start to finish samples" before you try out the new techniques on your work.

Good Luck....

Think Twice, And Finish Once

[url]www.macsimmons.com[/url

Last edited by MacS; 02-19-2007 at 07:19 AM.
MacS is offline   Reply With Quote