Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Wood Finishing and Painting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #1

Default Finish for Purpleheart?

Greetings, all. I seem to remember that a month or two ago somebody mentioned in some thread a good UV-protective finish that would keep Purpleheart (and undoubtedly other UV-sensitive woods) from fading as quickly as it would with other finishes. But now I can't find that thread. Or maybe I dreamed it. Any suggestions for a finish for Purpleheart?

Of course, not displaying the piece in direct sunlight is a gimme, but even ambient sunlight will cause it to fade. I do like the color and I'd like it to remain purple for as long as possible.

ThanKS all!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560
Kevin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky788scroller

Id suggest a poly that is labled 'spar' , thats intended to be used in applications where sunlight is an issue. Dale
lucky788scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Banned

I think, that Dale was referring to the "Marine Spar Varnish".

From the information that I have gleamed regarding UV protection (inhibitors and blockers) on those woods that change color. A few years is all you will get from them.

You might want to try making up a purple pigmented stain sample, and then use a flat sheen coating, the pigments in the stain and the flattening agent in the coating are both blocker of UV rays and will give you some protectiion against color change.

Good Luck
MacS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #4

Mac - thanks for that bit of information. Finishing is something I always struggle with. I have an upcoming project that uses Purple Heart and this info will come in handy.

Paul S.
Paul S WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Banned

Default Purpleheart

Paul,

Happy to help.

Mac
Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Masterscroller.comô

I have some purpleheart with spar and it turned brown after two years without being close to a window. I have purpleheart with tung oil finish after 5 years and with tons of indirect sunlight and it's still the same purple it always was. I have read that tung oil is an excellent UV protectant and it soaks into the wood to lock in the color, where Spar sits on top, breaks down and then fails to do it's job. I have settled into an undercoat of formbey's tung oil on all my intarsia's and then I spray poly on top. The tung oil is so easy to apply too, and if you do several coats, the tung oil is plenty hard to be a top coat too...sometimes that's all I use. If you topcoat it on top of tung oil, wait 72 hrs. And the odor is somewhat repulsive!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #7

Thanks, guys. I kind of like the tung oil idea, partly because Jeff has already done the "experiment", but probably also because of its simplicity. (I'm in a Danish Oil rut right now.) I don't have a lot of experience with stains but that's a reason to try Mac's idea, too. Since I plan to be cutting for many years, I'll probably do my own experiment. I'll let you know in '09 of the preliminary results.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560
Kevin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
Banned

Default Tung Oil is the best UV blocker?

Tung oil is an amber color coating, any one who uses tung oil or boiled linseed oil knows both of these coats darken as they age, no matter what wood you use they will amber, that includes purpleheart. Which, means the color could not be the same 5 years later, even if it was not in the sunlight.It would have darkened from the tung oil any way

You might have a bottle of "magical" Tung oil, what company is the bottler of the tung oil. I want to ask them if they know that their "Tung Oil" is the best UV blocker coating that is sold, after 5 years the purpleheart wood has not change even being in the sunlight.

Even the best UV coatings only last a few year, then the chemicals break down and become useless.

Will you post the name of the company, what a great article that would make if it checked out.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Masterscroller.comô

Like I said, I use formbey's and then poly over top. I'm not interested in arguing about it, just telling how my results have been so far and I am very well pleased.
Don't think formbeys is pure tung oil, and haven't noticed hardly any ambering. the purpleheart has stayed the same, the bloodwood has darkened some though.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by workin for wood
I'm not interested in arguing about it, just telling how my results have been so far and I am very well pleased.
It doesn't make sense to argue with experience anyway. As they say, experience is the best teacher.

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos
Minnesota scroller is offline   Reply With Quote