Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Wood Finishing and Painting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #1

Default Finishing Baltic Birch in different stain colors

I really like using Baltic Birch in 1/8th and 1/4". It's easy to cut, doesn't splinter and will accept small frets. My question has to do with segmentation and some other processes where the wood is different colors. I know different woods have differerent grains, but instead of getting different species of wood, how would using BB with different stains look? All those in favor, raise your hands. Those against, how come?
harrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Moderator CUT IT OUT

Well I am going to raise my hand because I like the idea, I will however let the segmentation experts fill in the details.
CanadianScroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #3

You may have problems...any contouring you do to give the project depth will most likely sand thru the top ply into the substrate exposing the glue line. Inner plies also may be a different wood species.
AuDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
Banned

I love BB it accepts any stain very well but ad is right the layers wont all stain the same ..close but --you could still tell it- try doing a piece and experiment with it - can't hurt and you can pass on the results to us --
Sharon
SharonW0111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Default Using Baltic Birch, stains and segmentation

I use Baltic Birch in several complex segmentation projects. Since my technique doesn't require the shaping and contouring found in intarsia, I rely on the stains to add depth to my work.

If you want an example of stains on baltic birch, visit Chrestensen Burghout Designs art page, and look at "Looking Back". She's baltic birch (with the exception of the mirror) and is only 2 colours of stain.

So yes, I am in favor and recommend it!
Back2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #6

Wink Baltic Birch Segmentation

As Toni said, Baltic Birch will work and her work proves that. The only drawback for me is that I use 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness and incorporate a lot of relief in the portraits I do. The stained edges become very apparant in the segments that are raised and I don't like the plies to be visible. Ii's really a matter of choice though so if you like the results you get with BB go for it!! There are no hard and fast rules for doing segmentation and I think everyone does it a little differently, sort of following their own imagination and creativity. That's why I like it so much....If you do three projects from the same pattern they will each be "one of a kind".
Old 01-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #7

I agree with Neal (God forbid). Segmentation is usually done in such a way that the edges of the sawn wood will show and are most often stained. Plywood, to no one's surprise, has "plys" and those layers are not the same wood nor hardness as the surface. Therefore, they will not stain uniformly and have a tendency to sometimes look goofy if left to show. If you do not "raise" the segments very much and need very little depth, then I suppose plywood (BB in this case) will "work". My opinion.
Moon