Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Wood Finishing and Painting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Default How to make blue pine?

Hi all,
I think I saw it somewhere on here before but didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it. Someone is giving us a huge pine tree so we're taking it to the saw mill soon. Hubby says I can try to make some blue pine out of some of it when we get the boards back. Since it will be green and not cured for quite some time, I'm hoping to get a few good, blue pine boards from it. Seems like you spray something on it and then wrap the boards in plastic.
Can anyone jog my poor, old memory?
Thanks
Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Staying Positive

First you need to get some beetles, then you infest the pine tree before you cut it down....LOL Blue pine is naturally occurring do to disease of the pine tree. You will have to dye it otherwise. As far as I know anyway.

Mountain pine beetles affect pine trees by laying eggs under the bark. The beetles introduce a blue stain fungus into the sapwood that prevents the tree from repelling and killing the attacking beetles with tree pitch flow. The fungus also blocks water and nutrient translocation within the tree. On the tree exterior, this results in popcorn-shaped masses of resin, called "pitch tubes", where the beetles have entered.[4] The joint action of larval feeding and fungal colonization kills the host tree within a few weeks of successful attack (the fungus and feeding by the larvae girdles the tree, cutting off the flow of water and nutrients). When the tree is first attacked, it remains green. Usually within a year of attack, the needles will have turned red. This means the tree is dying or dead, and the beetles have moved to another tree. In three to four years after the attack, very little foliage is left, so the trees appear grey. [5]

As beetle populations increase or more trees become stressed because of drought or other causes, the population may quickly increase and spread. Healthy trees are then attacked, and huge areas of mature pine stands may be threatened or killed. Warm summers and mild winters play a role in both insect survival and the continuation and intensification of an outbreak. Adverse weather conditions (such as winter lows of -40°C) can reduce the beetle populations and slow the spread, but the insects can recover quickly and resume their attack on otherwise healthy forests.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #3

Anneh, the process you are thinking of is making your own spalted wood. Like Mike said, blue pine comes from trees that are infected by a beetle. Sometimes you can go to a lumber yard and find some in their stock. Most people will push those boards aside if they are allowed to pick through the lumber.
http://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Haggard3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Senior give me a Discount

Last I heard, the Handsome woodman, http://thehandsomewoodman.com has a bunch of it.

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
Jean De La Bruyere...

l
Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Last edited by ChuckD; 07-03-2011 at 05:49 PM.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #5

Thanks guys!
I knew the pine was caused by the beetles but I remember trying to make "something" a year or two ago by spraying pine with something and than wrapping in plastic while it cured. I tried a few boards we got from another tree down but nothing happened since it had been cured too long, we thought.
Merle - I don't think it was spalted wood since don't recall ever needing any.
I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I was trying to ebonize some wood?
Had a major computer crash since then so I can't find any info.
Thanks and sorry if this is totally confusing! Problem is - I'm confused! LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #6

Anneh, I found this, maybe it was what you where thinking of?

Default Making blue pine
When I was building my 1100sq.ft timberframed shop several years ago,I had a guy cut all of the lumber for the shop from southern yellow pine. I ordered over 6000 board ft of various sizes from 1x3, 1x8, 2x4 4x4, 4x6, 6x6 and 6x8 fresh out of the forest. During construction I carefully stickered and stacked the lumber to dry but the heat and humidity caused much of my beautiful pine to develop a blue fungus stain which was not at all what I wanted. I ended up creating a bleach bath trough to clean up the boards, dipping each board into the bleach mixture. To make a long and painful story short what I learned was that if I took fresh cut pine and wrapped it in plastic and let it sweat I could make it turn blue almost all the way thru. It takes awhile but it is worth the time and trouble if you want to make your own blue wood for intarsia

Mike

Posted by Woodworking plus
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Mike
Than you! I do believe that's it! I'm going to take a few boards fresh cut from the saw mill and try it. Will let you know if it works.
In the meantime, I finally found a place near here that has some blue pine so am going tomorrow and pick some up. He said it's .57 per lineal foot so I think I'll stock up while I can. Beats the internet prices anyway but will have to see what he's got.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #8

Where in VA? if it's close to me, I might make the trip for some. I've been wanting to get my hands on some.

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #9

Hi Betty
It's at Martins Lumber outside of Dayton, near Harrisonburg, in the Shenandoah Valley. I'll let you know if they havae a lot or a little. Might be a nice day trip for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #10

I have a tree guy that drops off big oak rounds for me to split and use in my wood stove,a few times the oak had splotches of blue dye like areas way inside the rounds could that be from Beatles?I was thinking it was from chain saw oil??
qlty is offline   Reply With Quote