Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Wood Finishing and Painting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

Default Has anyone used super glue as a finish?

I am new here and to scrolling. I have finished a few knife handles and used super glue. It would have to be a small project to use super glue but it stabalizes the wood and gives a deep gloss look. The more coats you put on the deeper the gloss. I am going to try it on the top of a small bandsaw box or maybe the whole thing at some point. just wanted to see if anyone had done it and what your thoughts would be.
Cajunme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #2

It will be interesting to see how well it holds up. Is it tough to get smooth? I've never tried it but if it works for you than great!
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
The WoodEraser

That's what I do to finish my turned pens. I'm not sure on bigger project you will get a flat, smooth and glossy finish. It will curious to see.

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!
WoodCarverOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Default super glue

I have noticed that one important thing is to get it on smooth. then sand it smooth. when i get one done i will post a pic. i know you don't always want a thick glossy look. but say a key chain name or pendant, it would protect the wood.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Senior Moment

I use water thin CA as a finish on earrings and pendents. Attach the earring/pendent to a piece of thin wire about 8" to 10" long, put the CA in a small Aluminum pie tin deep enough to cover the piece, dip the piece in. Take it outside and whirl it around using the wire as a "handle" to get off the excess CA. The centrifugal force evens the CA out over the whole piece. Repeat if necessary. I don't sand between coats.

My Gallery
Plaquerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Rock 'n Scroller

It never occured to me to use super glue for a finish. I use it for filling cracks etc, I had a nasty scratch on my guitar and it filled it perfectly. You learn something each day on this great site.
Mick
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
RBI Hawk Owner

I haven't tried super glue for a finish. I have made letter openers, which needed extra strength. I first varnished them and as a last coat, I dunked them in epoxy. My family is still uses them (5 + yrs) and the tip didn't even break off.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #8

Default super glue

Plaquerd, where do you get your super glue? i have been shopping around. dipping your item into the glue is getting it on so smooth i can see where sanding really isn't needed. you have some really nice projects.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #9

At a couple bucks a bottle, it seems like an expensive finish to me. How do you apply it? Do you buy the small bottles, or is there a more economic way to get it?
T
Forester21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #10

Default super glue

if you shop around on the net you can get a large bottle for about $6. Hobby king is one place. i used the water thin and it lasted about a year. don't get a big bottle unless you are going to use a lot. it will get hard after a while.