Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood and Materials
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Wood and Materials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Default Merbau?

Has anyone worked with merbau before? I was able to get it at my local hardwood shop, but they seem to have run out, and I'm having trouble finding it online.
sdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Naughty, but nice!

From online searches.

Merbau is an wood imported from Indonesia and surrounding areas and is used a lot for parquet flooring because it is termite resistant and very, very hard - 50% harder than red oak. According to it's specs I'm not sure you would want to scroll with it because it dulls even carbide tipped blades!

If the thickness and width you require does not exceed that use by flooring manufacturers you can find it at the following supplier

The Merbau Tree - Merbau Hardwood Useful Information : Academy Floor Supply | Discount Hardwood Flooring | Hardwood Floor Repair | Flooring Supplies

Failing that it can be found in Australia where it is used often for decking.

http://buybuildingsupplies.com.au/merbau-decking-90x19mm-p-4081.html

Dozing off? - nah, I'm creatively thinking with my eyes closed!

Last edited by jim_mex; 03-30-2012 at 11:46 AM.
jim_mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #3

Try motorcycle dealers....Sometimes the products are shipped in crates framed with it. At least they used to be. Good luck.
Dave
PowayDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #4

I've been using it a lot lately, as my son brought me the leftovers from a deck he built. Merbau is a trade name for red balau, and it has a WONDERFUL coloring -- burgundy red with gold highlights. I had it cut down to 1/4 in thickness and have no problems at all cutting it -- I don't recommend trying to stack cut, though. I run it through a planer and get a really smooth surface. Apparently my son got this stuff at a lumber yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dolphin Box Open.jpg (79.9 KB, 9 views)
PatteM is offline   Reply With Quote