Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood and Materials
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Wood and Materials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #1

Smile one half inch pine boards

Hi all.
Does anyone know a good source for 1/2" pine boards ?
Or would I be better off buying a planer and planing down 3/4" to 1/2" ?
If so, what is a good inexpensive planer(money is tight).

thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

One of the last of a dying breed...a born and raised Green Mountain Boy.
ironrailsbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #2

Bud,
My Lowes sells select pine in half inch thinkness boards. It is pretty nice stuff too... for pine.... from the Borg... but if you don't need a ton of it, it works great.

I have a Dewalt 735, which is not the cheepest, but a really nice machine. I would expect the 734 which is much more reasonable price wise to be a good planer also, but still not "cheep".

Hope that helps,
Ed
Pastor-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #3

My local Lowe's and Home Depot carry short lengths of pine, poplar and red oak in thin sizes, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". It is generally pretty clear and free from defects, but there may be some of the wider boards that are cupped. It isn't cheap, but if you don't need a lot and need it quickly, that is where I would go.

As for a planer, that is a longer term solution and of course a big initial investment. Mine is an older Delta, 12.5", single speed. Not sure if they are still available or not, Delta and Dewalt have moved to slightly larger, 2 speed models, which are significantly more $$. Personally I wouldn't want to be without my planer for a lot of things and especially for scrolling. I do also have a bandsaw so that I can resaw stock instead of just planing it all the way down. Planing 3/4" down to 1/2" seems a waste to me and with most bench top planers, is also pretty time consuming and makes a lot of chips. If you aren't buying roughsawn lumber at lower mill prices, I don't think there is a lot of advantage to buying already surfaced stock and planing a lot of it away, as a general rule. I've done it on occasion, but it's probably easier, faster and no more expensive just to buy boards already planed.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #4

ironrailsbud:

Lumber is traditionally sold by the board foot. That is, in inches, length x width x depth. So if you plane a 3/4 inch board to 1/2 inch, you are paying for 3 bd ft and ending up with 2 bd ft. Or, you are overpaying by 50%. Seems pretty high to me.

On the other hand, if you are dealing with a very limited quantity, then a major equipment investment would also be extremely expensive.

Solution:

Do lots of wood work and the cost per job goes down. Also much fun too. Add a couple of beers and the fun is even greater.

I believe that drawer side material is generally 1/2 inch thick so maybe have a look at that source too.

If you do enough, try getting 5/4 [1 1/4 inch] material and resaw, or perhaps a friend can help with that.

Woodie
georgewoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #5

The lowes and home depots around here sell 1/2" stock as well. They have a selection of pine, red oak, poplar, cedar and maple.

I have a Dewalt 735 planer it is a good machine. Depending on what you are doing skids or pallets, whatever you want to call them, are mostly made out of pine and oak, I have also found black walnut and cedar. You can usually find them free and plane them down to what you need. Only problem is the nails. They take a little bit of work to get broken down but the lumber is free so it makes it worth it. Also the nail holes make the pieces short unless you can putty them.

I wouldn't suggest purchasing 3/4 and planing it to 1/2 as was stated before would be a waste of money unless you have no other choice.

Ben

If you decide to purchase a planer and have a bandsaw it opens up a whole other world to lumber sources. You can find a saw mill around you and buy rough cut and make it what size you want and not to mention you will never look at trees the same again. Instead of looking at how pretty the tree is you will be looking to see how much lumber you can get out of it.

http://www.huhdowhat.com

Last edited by yost69; 12-03-2009 at 11:06 PM.
yost69 is offline   Reply With Quote