Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood and Materials
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Wood and Materials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
George

Default Cutting thin metal sheets

I have been cutting metal aquired at the local craft shop, and I have had very good luck in cutting out all kinds of things for my friends and family. The metal comes in brass, copper and other types of thin material that is a little bit on the expensive side, but its worth it.
I found that if I place the metal between two pieces of wood, it will turn out better and the blade will not hang up on me. I use a light lube, jewelers blades and it works out fine. I have a Hawk and she has been good to me for the last 15 years.
Remember if you try this out, sharp edges can be pretty nasty, so do it with care and take your time, its worth it.
Thanks,
George

Its been real interesting and I have learned much from the scroll saw talented men and woman.
Thanks
riding77sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
rjr
Support Our Troops

Sounds interesting, what is the actual thickness of the metal you are cutting? How about some pictures of your cuttings.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior member...Sweeet

Welcome George, and ya we love pictures.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Moment

Welcome to the group George. Post some pictures......we do love pictures.

I've also been cutting brass. I get mine by the coil here,
Coil Shim Stock - 302/304 SS Shim Coil - Maudlin Products - slotted shim, finger spring, plastic shim, foil wrap & cantilevered spring, shim kits
......It is shim stock. The thickness I use is .010". I think I will try .015" next time...it should have a little more stiffness. They also carry S/S, plastic and flat stock.
To get rid of the sharp edges lay the brass parts on a flat surface and brush each side of them with a brass brush to get rid of any burrs, then scuff the edges with 400 paper so it "rounds" over the edges so they aren't sharp. Been using #2/0 Olson blades, they stay sharp and give a good cut. Made Christmas ornaments
( on this thread http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/bra...tion/18445.htm )and some jewelry, it looks nice when buffed and clear coated.

My Gallery
Plaquerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
George

Dave,
Thanks for the information on the coil shim stock and getting rid of the sharp edges. You are an artist and your knowledge is well accepted.
Thanks,
George

Last edited by riding77sportster; 01-26-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
George

Ron,
I use most material, from shim stock, .030 to material I get at Lowe's that is used for flashing.
I will post a picture of one of my projects soon. I give most of my work as gifts or add to my collection thats buried in the garage.
George