Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Wood and Materials
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
Wood and Materials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #1

Default Price for Walnut Rough Cut Lumber

My mother has about 800 to 1200 board feet of rough cut, black walnut lumber that my father had cut from trees on their farm and taken somewhere to have it cut. He has since died and I have no idea what the worth is.

The pieces are at a minimum of 2 inches running up to around 3 or more inches thick and most are 7 to 10 feet long. Some are 4x4 inches, others larger.

These have air dried for several years, flat with spacer board to support and allow air to circulate through each board.
rann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #2

Dang Rann. you sure have a prise there. if you don't get what you wont. just let me know. I will take it off your hands. mmmmmmm guess that wont work, sorry I don't know the price you could sell it for. but for me, it would be pricless. Walnut is one of the woods I just love. hope you get your answers. if it was me. and my Dads wood groun on the farm, I wouldn't let a piece of it go at all, I would scroll it. for sure. Ps. Wecome to are group. hope yo stick around, and findout what fine things you can do with that wood. Evie

Last edited by minowevie; 02-17-2008 at 12:08 AM.
minowevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #3
American Craftsman

The price varies widely on Walnut. The best price I've found is $1.60 a bd ft (100 bd ft minimum) for 4/4. I've seen it as high as $8 a bd ft for 4/4.
Jediscroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 AM   #4
Newly Customized Moose

Send a message via Yahoo to PuzzledMoose

It's C$8.75 for 4/4 here

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788
PuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #5

Sorry to say, but where you are will impact the price. If you are within an a 2 hour drive of Chicago the selling price will be different than if you are in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a full day's drive from almost any major city.

And if you live near Dallas or Southern California, you may wish to consider guard dogs for your wealth.

Phil
GrayBeard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #6

I would contact a local sawyer and get an appraisal. www.woodfinder.com is a good place to start if you don't have a local contact. A lot depends on your location, the grade (knots, sapwood, etc) and the condition of the wood. The 4X4s will take a long time (8+ years) to air dry. I would also check on prices for kiln drying the better grade stock as top grade kiln dryed walnut can fetch a much better price...especially after it has airdryed for a few years. This avoids the bleaching effect that occurs when putting green Walnut through a full kiln drying cycle.
MarkF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky788scroller

location location location. Like has been said, location dictates the price as much as the quality of the wood itself. I can get rough, ungraded, log-run , solar kiln dried walnut for $1.50 a BF if I drive 1&1/2 hours, or I can go to a local hardwood supplier and pay three or four times that price for the same stuff. Where are you? Dale
lucky788scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #8

LOL We all want to know where you are to see if you are within driving distance........
theresa
Forester21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
I'm not really a cowboy.

Dang.....Why can't I ever get a find like that. I use walnut for most of my stuff. Here in Dallas it cost so darn much if you can even find it. May be I'll move back to Vermont. Or upstate New York. No don't like the snow that much.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
American Craftsman

You folks might want to check out www.walllumber.com for Walnut. They usually have log run walnut for < $2 a bd. ft. It has to be shipped motor freight but even with that it might still be worth it for you if you have the room.
Jediscroller is offline   Reply With Quote