Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
kes

Question help

could anyone tell me how to get the glue off of my project without leaving fuzzies on it. I find by using a cloth it leaves a lot of lint and I think I got it all off but after applying clear coat presto the lint is still there.
kes
kes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Steviegwood

Hi kes, if you are using a spray adhesive I wipe off my projects with paint thinner to remove the residue. There are many people here on the forum that apply their patterns differant. I let mine dry after and lightly sand them before finishing. Hope that helps. Steve
Steviegwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #3

If you are talking about the pattern glue, I use a 3m general purpose 45 spray adhesive.Then I spray alow oder mineral spririts on the pattern let it sit for about 3 minutes and it peels right off.If any glue is still there spray a lttle more on it and wipe it with your fingers it will come right off.
DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #4

Hi Kes. I agree with both the precedding replies. Mineral spirits is very good for lifting the pattern and the glue residue. I recently used nail polish remover, and it also worked very well. It raised the grain as I was cleaning pine, but a little bit of sanding and it was great.
Just my 2 worth
Marsha
Marsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky788scroller

I cover my wood with clear packing tape, then glue the pattern to the tape. the tape leaves no residue, and then i lightly sand the surface before finishing.I dont rag my projects at all, until after sanding between coats of lacquer. Dale
lucky788scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #6

Instead of rags, I like to use the blue paper shop towels that you can get at BORG or any other home improvement store or auto store. They don't leave any lint or strings and they are very absorbant.

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
and website www.billswoodntreasures.com
utbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Moderator CUT IT OUT

just a hint you may try putting the project in the microwave, with the pattern still on it for about 30 seconds, that will also make the pattern easier to remove, then wipe it with mineral spirits like the previous posters have suggested.
CanadianScroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #8

I have started using clear Contact on the wood first and then glue the pattern to it. The Contact paper peels off in one piece with no residue.

EarlinJax
earlinjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to beemerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes
could anyone tell me how to get the glue off of my project without leaving fuzzies on it. I find by using a cloth it leaves a lot of lint and I think I got it all off but after applying clear coat presto the lint is still there.
kes
This age old problem is right up there with Bill Cosby's question, "Why is there air?" His answer was "to fill volley balls". Everyone has had the problem and everyone has agonized with how to solve it. You will have to "look within yourself" to find the solution.

After much meditation and soul searching, I have found my solution. I soak a rag with mineral spirits, dab the pattern all over until it turns gray, and peel the pattern off. Let the wood dry for a while - the spirits will tell you how long - and hold the wood up to a strong light, If bits of glue remain, rub them off or wet a rag with mineral spirits ans dab them off.

Or the problem of remaining glue is of no consequence if you do as I do and sand the cutting on both sides after the pattern is removed and the finish is applied.

Delta P20

Last edited by beemerbob; 02-12-2007 at 05:14 PM.
beemerbob is offline   Reply With Quote