Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #1

Default Another new scroll sawer

Howdy all. I did the research online and sunday bought my first scroll saw and supplies. The last 2 days I have been setting up an area and preparing. Today I started making my first cuts. Oooohhh I think I'm hooked. I decided to Scroll saw 8x10 portraits. I use paintshop to convert to a sketch drawing and then to black and white. I read online to start something simple starting out but I am comfortable enough with crafts to start doing the portraits. Besides being hardheaded and like to just plunge in. So far im impressed with what i have accomplished but cant wait until it is done. Any tips on reducing the times or making it easier to convet the pictures into patterns???
kyscroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Pattern Person

Send a message via MSN to Andy

Welcome KyScroller. Glad you found us. It sounds to me like you've got a good grasp on this world of the scrollsaw. As for reducing time in pattern making, I think it really just boils down to familiarity with the software you're using and ability. That all comes with time. There are so many factors involved. Software you use, quality of original artwork, size/detail of pattern, and most of all the desire for perfection. I've got some patterns I've been working on for months! Quite literally ... I just keep plugging away hoping someday I'll be content with the quality. LOL

Andy
Old 02-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #3

Welcome KY scroller---sounds like you are ahead of a lot of us already or me anyway. Maybe I can take some lessons from you.
Randy Huckeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
scroller and moderator

Hi and welcome to the gorup. This is the place to get the best advice.
Diane
PuffityDragon on AFSP
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #5

thanks. I can get the hang of the saw but the patterns seem to give me problems with the hair and any facial hair. I have played with graphic programs but never thought about that. I guess thats the downsize of doing portraits instead of things. I figured if I got good enough I could sell some and then I wouldn't have to worry about copyright
kyscroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #6

Welcome to the club KYScroller.