Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber
Welcome Members

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Default patterns use too much ink

I don't know how to use this site to communicate but I have been scrolling for years and often use patterns from this magazine. This last issue the patterns are filled in with gray, so when you make a copy off it uses a lot of ink and my ink is expensive. Is there a solution or can you quit coloring in the patterns, ust use outlines and cut line. Pinegal
Pinegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

Default computer idiot

This is pinegal again. I won't know how to use this complicated sight enough to receive an answer. Could you email me. Pinegal
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

Most photo copiers, especially the home versions, print the gray areas much lighter then the original. The gray is very useful for showing you what will be wood and what will be removed. If all they provided was outlines it would be impossible on some designs to see what is waste and what is wood.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #4

We picked up a laser printer on sale for $70 many years ago. I use it for printing all of my patterns instead of my Ink jet printer.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #5

I picked up one of the $70.00 lasers some time back. And when the toner ran out, I bought a kit and refilled the cartridge for around $5.00, a $40.00 plus savings over a new cartridge. Next time I refill it, I will take it outside to get er done.
stephenD likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
Technical Editor

Pinegal,
Unfortunately, since you didn't provide an e-mail address, we are not able to e-mail a response back to you directly. I'll try to answer your question here.

We started including the light grey fill in the patterns before I joined the magazine nearly 10 years ago, and we have no plans to change it. We feel the fill is important for the exact reasons that NC Scroller (Scott) mentioned above: to see what to cut and what to remove in a project.

Since it sounds like you are scanning your patterns in and printing them, I suggest you use the "bucket fill" tool in whatever photo editing software you're using to scan and print the piece to fill the pattern with white instead of grey. Or as the other members suggested, pick up an inexpensive laser printer for not much more than you'd spend on ink. The toner lasts much longer than the ink (and doesn't dry up in the cartridge). In the four years we've had our color laser printer at home, we've changed the toner cartridges once.

Best Regards,
Bob Duncan
Technical Editor
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Puzzle Making Muggle

Another option, Pinegal, if you're stuck with an inkjet, is to check out it's settings. Most have options to adjust how light/dark you print, and with what quality (draft, normal, best).

For something like patterns, if you make the image lighter, and print in draft, it will use much less ink. Of course, you have to balance this with the quality of your eyesight.

Also, I hope you begin to find the forum easier to use over time. If you have any difficulties, please don't hesitate to ask.

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Puzzle Making Muggle

Another tip:

Sometimes a pattern page will have additional graphics on it, which are not needed when printing (for example, text or a picture of the completed project). If the page is graphic-heavy, I will print it once, and then remove the unneeded portions with scissors and print again. This can be used to make subsequent copies. Just be aware that the more often you make a copy of a copy of a copy, the more the pattern dimensions will change from their original dimensions, so if extreme accuracy is important, this isn't the best choice.

Alternatively, if you are crafty on the computer, you can scan your image in, and then digitally remove the unneeded graphics in something like Photoshop or MS Paint.

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #9

Patterns use too much ink. Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been with this magazine since the 1st one out. I guess I do mostly intarsia and I think you did not color in the intarsia patterns. We make many several copies to separate colors and grain patterns. I have several friends who would like to learn and intarsia patterns are much easier to follow the lines when not colored in. I am 76 and computer handicapped, I use a copy machine. I like it because it enlarges and downsizes patterns which is often called for in intarsia. I can buy a laser printer but would rather buy more scroll saw tools. Pinegal

Pinegal I have refrained from moving your post (conversation) to a more appropriate thread for fear you would not be able to locate it again. If we can offer help so you can more easily navigate the forum please let us know what you are having difficulty in understanding.
You will find that if you place your question in one of the other forums (topics) that is more suited (appropriate) to your needs you will get many more responses.

Last edited by wood-n-things; 07-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Technical Editor

Pinegal,
I am sorry. I was wrong.

I just went back and checked, and realized that we do not put a fill in Kathy Wise's patterns. I think it's because she often shades areas where you need to remove wood. A quick scan through my back issues shows that Kathy's are the only patterns we don't do a fill on.

So again, please accept my apologies. I was wrong.

What makes the patterns without a grey fill easier to cut for intarsia? For all the cutting I do, I find the grey easier on my eyes...

Bob
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote