Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #1

Default Hi from Las Vegas, Nevada and copyright question

I am pretty new to scroll sawing and this is my first post here. I have a question about patterns and I haven't found anything using the search function. I tried to find the answer before asking but couldn't so here goes. I bought a back issue of ScrollSaw because it had a great nativity scene I wanted. Now that I have made it, several people want to buy one from me. My question is can I use patterns published in the magazine to make items to sell? What are the copyright restrictions. What about patterns I buy from someone else like Kathy Wise for instance. Can I sell items I make from her patterns? Thanks for your help.

-Kim
cynergy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Staying Positive

You can sell items made from the patterns. You just cannot share /give/sell the pattern itself.

Welcome aboard.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Last edited by wood-n-things; 03-28-2014 at 02:48 AM.
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #3

Welcome! Yes, you can sell items made from the patterns. I do not create my own; I purchase patterns from various pattern creators on the web and I sell the scrolled items at art and craft shows and a local retail stores.

Tony,aka,Toneman
Toneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from TN, Kim. Sure looks like you got an answer to your question. Post pictures of your projects.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Just Goofy !

Welcome Kim. Just ask any questions & someone will try to help you. Look through all of the threads & learn from that, as you go. It helps to do a lot of reading. Let us know what saw you have & what kind of scrolling you like to do. Take time & enjoy scrolling, that's the main thing. Don't be discouraged & be patient with all that you do. Thanks for joining us & hope you get all that you can from the forum. Take Care

Visit me at--- www.woodcraftsnquilts.com
ubgoofy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #6

Welcome!
I'm going to expand on the answer you've been given -

When you find a pattern you like, look at the copyright statement on the book/magazine/pattern. MOST will say that you may make and sell the projects from the pattern. SOME will say they are for personal use only.

Patterns found in the Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts magazine you are able to make the item and sell if you want as mentioned above. But other sources may be different.

making copies of the patterns and selling those are another subject all together...
Theresa
Forester21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copyright