Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

Default Newby from SE Pa

Hi gang- been cruising around the boards for awhile now but for some reason could never get the registration code in my e-mail until today. Sorry but here's a kind of longwinded story of how I got here. I got a Craftsman Scrollsaw about 8 years ago but never really got the hang of using it and didn't know where to get started. It sat on my workbench until this fall. My son joined a fraternity at college, needed a Greek paddle to decorate with his Greek letters and ordered it online for his roommate and himself. The day before he needed it he was in a panic because they never got shipped to him. My wife and I went to craft stores, woodshops, etc. looking for ones to get for them. No luck. All we found was one for a keychain. We ended up getting the key chain, making a blow-up copy, getting a couple pine boards and that night I was able to make and sand down 3 paddles in a couple of hours (not exactly perfect but I hoped they'd be good enough). When we took them to my son and his roommate, they were ecstatic with them. Needless to say I felt pretty good about it and was hooked. I got online and ordered a beginner book for practicing cuts and a couple of DVD's to SEE how it should be done for regular cuts, inside cuts and Intarsia. I was pretty happy how the practicing was going and so far have been able to try different types of projects. I've enjoyed making a couple of single board intarsias-(I got a long ways to go before using different kinds of wood)- a reindeer Christmas ornament, a teddy bear heart scroll art for my wife for Valentine's day that is actually hanging on the wall and a Mustang Scroll art for my son for his birthday (what can I say-he wanted a Mustang so a dad has to give him what he wants). Anyway, I have found the hobby I wanted 8 years ago to be very relaxing that I can work on for 15 minutes or 3 hours, whatever I feel like and get instant gratification from each cut I make. BTW- my son actually sold the 3rd paddle I made to a spring pledge and got the money back I spent on the boards and saved the kid some money from buying it online. Thanks for hearing (reading) my story and I'm looking forward to learning a lot of tricks and tips from the forum
flooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #2

Welcome aboard
Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior member...Sweeet

Welcome to our little heaven on earth.......glad you joined, we love new members, so much to learn from each other.
By the way does your screen name flooby have any reference to the hair cutting unit called Flowbee? Just curious.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from TN. I see you are in SE PA, close to the upcoming Scroll Saw Picnic. Look for the thread in the upcoming events.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Dog View Post
Welcome to our little heaven on earth.......glad you joined, we love new members, so much to learn from each other.
By the way does your screen name flooby have any reference to the hair cutting unit called Flowbee? Just curious.
No- unfortunately I'm a little older than the Flowbee--and no hair on top to use it,
Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Oaks View Post
Welcome to the forum from TN. I see you are in SE PA, close to the upcoming Scroll Saw Picnic. Look for the thread in the upcoming events.
Yup--got it circled on the calendar to hopefully get there.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #7

Welcome ! you need to make it to the open house it will be a rare opportunity to meet many of the great people on this forum.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote