Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #1

Default New member, very old Beaver saw!

Hi from a new member from the united kingdom, just found and joined your forum as I'm hoping to finally get around to trying out some projects having bought this very old beaver scroll saw last year. I've now got it set up in my small workshop and am looking forward to trying it out properly, so far I have managed a very quick 3D reindeer just to try it out and am really interested in the compound cutting side of things. I would be really interested to hear if anyone has a similar machine and whether you think it's a suitable machine for a beginner or should i be looking for a more modern machine any help and advice gratefully received.
regards for now, Norm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay sales 009.JPG (120.3 KB, 32 views)
Norman H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Mr.Ed

Good morning Norman.......I see your still on line.......the scrollsaw your describing is probably NOT going to do too much in the scrolling efforts...times have changed and the newwer saws naturally have been updated to keep up..your basic saw will give you an idea as to wether or not your interested enough to persue scrollin..HOWEVER...the saw can also make you quickly lose intrest in scrolling altogether if it is not capable of doing what you want to do....I MIGHT SUGEST trying out a couple of the more modern machines....doesn't have to be an expensive one.....check around especially on this site for various brands and there capabilities........MOST OF ALL you SHOULD get one that allows the use of flat end blades, which i don't think yours will accept......(makes for easier blade changes too ) and different types of blades to vary your type of work......hope this helps.
daveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Staying Positive

I agree that although it is intriguing to have and use an older machine the newer machines may be much less frustrating to master. I'd get a newer machine and keep that one to play with.

Welcome A Board!! We are pleased you found us.

It would be difficult to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking.
Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful.
Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.
Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from TN. I agree with what was said about the saws. Compound cutting is my favorite for quick and easy projects. Miniature birdhouses are my favorite.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #5

Hi guys thanks for the fast responses, be interesting to see how I get on with it once I start a couple of more projects, I must admit I bought the machine over an entry level new one due to it's build quality. I bought it from the original owner and it has served him well for the past 40 years, I have rewired it to include a foot switch, changed the oil and it runs as sweet as a nut with no vibration, it's really well engineered and accepts flat ended blades I'll put it to some proper use and see how I get on.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

I am not sure that I would dismiss this saw entirely.
It does have its drawbacks like the blade tension will change through the stroke, the new saws maintain a constant tension. Also blade changes for fretwork may be a real pain,That said, I would try it with a smaller blade than what I see in it now. If it maintains a reasonable blade tension without breaking blades then have fun with it. The advantage of this saw is a true vertical stroke.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Thanks Rolf I have changed the blades to No 5 35tpi, the blade in the photo is a cut down bandsaw blade fitted when I bought it as the original owner was a signmaker and used to cut out patterns using plywood with it. Interestingly my main reason for buying it is to cut out thin metal profiles as I am into hobby welding making weather vanes etc, I bought pegasus blades and it zips thro 1mm sheet steel no problem whatsoever. It was only when I started looking into patterns etc that I discovered the saws true use as scrollsawing is not as popular here as it is in the states.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #9

Where do you live?
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Rock 'n Scroller

Hi Norman and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to be to learn the tricks of scrolling. There are some very talented and very helpful people here who will answer all your questions no matter how trivial you may think they are. I'm intrigued by your saw, it looks really well made if a little long in the tooth. If you have fun with it then that's all you need. You mentioned changing the oil. Where is that situated? Is it for lubrication or some sort of damping system. There are some decent entry level saws for around £100 or so. I have an Erbauer which some folks don't recommend. However I have had it for over 5 years now and it serves me well. Little vibration even at high speed. For more information on your saw you may want to join the uk website forum at ukworkshop.co.uk (link below) who are another great set of folks. They love to see old working saws and someone may have one themselves.
Keep posting and We look forward to seeing some of your projects.
Mick

http://ukworkshop.co.uk

Last edited by journeyman; 02-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote