Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Donjor
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Gator Whittler

Default New to scrolling

Hello scrollers. I go by "Gatorbait" and a new member. I have never done scrolling but was just given a Craftsman Model 137.226200 scroll saw by a Fraternal Brother. I was wondering if any of you scrollers have/have used this model and can give me any advise on the quality/use of this model [best blades to use, best place to purchase good quality bladesm etc.].

I'm the Secretary of the "Gator Whittlers" woodcarving/whittling club here in Gainesville, Florida. I'm also fairly new at woodcarving but really enjoy it as a hobby and still learning by practice. We have about 40 members in our club with an average of 15-20 attending our get together at the Senior Recreation Center every Thursday from 9a-Noon..

I want to wish all a very 'Healthy, Safe, Prosperous and Happy New Year'!!

GB
"Gatorbait" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Puzzle Making Muggle

Welcome to the forum, Gator!

Since you got the Craftsman for free, I guess there's no complaining, but I bet once you start to enjoy scrolling, you'll be looking to get a better saw.

Do you know if it accepts pinned blades, or pinless (the latter are better)? I can recommend Flying Dutchman blades, and you can get them thru Mike's.

If you're into woodcarving, be sure to check out Fox Chapel's forum for the Woodcarving Illustrated magazine as well. I have a secret passion to learn how to do that some day. Mainly, I think I would like to learn how to carve caricatures.

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scrolling Days For This Useful Post:
"Gatorbait" (01-20-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum from TN. I have no experience with a Craftsman, but Shawn gave good advise.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Oaks For This Useful Post:
"Gatorbait" (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Gator Whittler

Thanks for the info Shawn. According to the Owner's Manual I got with the saw, it accepts 'Plain-end' and 'Pin-end' blades. The manual states that the 'Plain-end' blades are recommended for for fine, accurate and intricate work on materials 3/4" or less in thickness but it takes a little longer to assemble the blade and blade tension. I haven't tried it yet but am anxious to do so. My friend gave me a few assorted blades witht he saw. Again, thanks. GB
"Gatorbait" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Staying Positive

Welcome A Board!! We are pleased you found us.

It would be difficult to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking.
Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful.
Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.
Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.

Blades are readily available in a wide variety of types, sizes, tooth configurations and manufacturers. Probably the two most popular are Flying Dutchman and Olson blades.

Links to the blade suppliers can be found over in the left margin of this page, under Scroll Saw Resources > Retailers. Most folks will tell you that Mike's Workshop is the best place for the Flying Dutchman blades and Sloan's Woodshop is a good source for Olson blades. Call either one of them and you will talk to a real person who can give you first hand advice on their blades and they both offer great customer service.
Personally I prefer Mikes blades...No relation BTW.
Here are links to both sites mentioned.

Mike's Workshop
Sloans

The manual is incorrect on the plain end blades they will cut up to nearly 2 inches thick, with proper tension, right size, and slow feed rate.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #6

Welcome to the best forum out there. You will find all the info you will need to help you get started on your journey to the most addictive hobby out there. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in the threads all you have to do is ask. The scrollers on this forum are the best and don’t mind helping.

Jeff Robinson
Panama City Fl.
Cutting with EX-21
Jeff R is offline   Reply With Quote