Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Default Trying to find value of black walnut

Hey there! I'm new to this forum, but found it very interesting and informational. I live in Northern Idaho and my Grandfather was really big into woodworking He passed back in 1999, but 25 years before that he had rough cut approximately 100 planks of black walnut anywhere from 12' long to 6' and some are 4" thick and some are 2" thick I also have some posts that are 8' long and 6"x5". They have been sitting over 35 years air drying in his storage barn where he did his wood working. My Grandmother who just recently sold her home gave me all this lumber because she had no use for it and didn't want the hassle of selling it. I'm not that big into woodworking and really need to get this off my hands it's taking up a lot of space! I'm curious of the value of this type of wood and any ideas of where I could sell it at? It's all very straight only a few pieces are warped. I know it's probably not to common in the western states so not sure if it's very sought after around here. Thank you for reading and hope to hear some feedback.

Thank you!
Jessica

Last edited by Daisy86duke; 12-07-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Daisy86duke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy86duke For This Useful Post:
LIBarbara (12-08-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Don't know what your US prices would be like but attached is a price list for finished black walnut from a company in Ontario, Canada. Even rough you should get at least 60% of the finished price. You have a few $$$ in that load of lumber. BF = 12" x 12" x 1"

1" Thick $9.85 BF
1-1/4" " $10.95 BF
1-1/2" " $10.95 BF
2" " $12.05 BF
3" " $14.10 BF
4" " $15.00 BF
Tom J. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom J. For This Useful Post:
Daisy86duke (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Thank you for the info it is very helpful!!! I'm still a little confused on how to figure out the BF I understand the 12*12*1 what if my boards were only 8" to 10" wide? would it be 8"x12"x1" or 10"x12"x1" and if the boards were 2" thick instead of 1"?

Thank you!
Jessica
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #4

"The formula for calculating board feet is as follows:
(length x width x thickness)/144 " (all in inches)

So if you have a post that is 8' long and 6" x 5" as in your post... 8' = 96", using the formula... (96" x 6" x 5")/144 = 20 bf

It's curved when I want straight, and straight when I want curved.

DW-788, Delta Midi Lathe
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveK For This Useful Post:
Daisy86duke (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #5

Default board foot

12x12x1=144

so a board 8 feet long 10 inches wide and 1 inch thick would be 10"x96"x1" =960" then divide by 144=9.666 that is the board feet in that piece of wood. Same on all boards
if it is 2" thick then multiply by 2 or what ever the thickness.
7tcu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7tcu For This Useful Post:
Daisy86duke (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

Wow those posts really cleared my confusion up on BF! Haha I never have been the best in math. Thank you!!! Well looks like I have a HUGE project ahead of me pulling out all these boards and doing some measuring this will be a good full weekend project. I'll have to take a picture and show you guys what I'm dealing with :P
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #7

Welcome Jessica,

Black walnut is very desirable wood for woodworking. Prices can vary quite a bit from one location to another, depending on the general availability of the species in that area, so what walnut sells for around here has little bearing on what it's value may be in Idaho. I would suggest contacting a local lumber supplier and ask what their pricing is for walnut, to at least establish a baseline.

Now that you have board feet figured out, there are a whole host of grading criteria that factors in to the price of lumber. The grade is determined by the size & quality of the boards. I don't want to burst your bubble, but I've read and heard of many stories of guys finding a barn full of lumber, thinking they struck the mother lode, only to find that the wood was infested with bugs like powderpost beetles or was contaminated with mold in the inner layers, from improper drying/storage conditions, or contained a large percentage of undesirable sapwood, knots & other defects. I have no idea what condition your lumber may be in, but most buyers won't be willing to pay anything approaching full retail prices for a barn find like this, so condition your expectations accordingly. I would put an add on Craigs List or perhaps E-Bay and see what kind of interest it generates.

Good luck
Daisy86duke (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Hardwood lumber in Hayden may be ble to help.

It's all fun
Terry
Craftsman 18"
Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore
Terry Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Murphy For This Useful Post:
Daisy86duke (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Just Goofy !

Jessica, you have quite a treasure in lumber. I love walnut, but, is hard to come by here in Yuma, Arizona. I usually order my pieces that I want. I know what you mean by the BF math. I'm not very good at figuring it, so I wouldn't be of much help. It sounds as though you may get some good cash value from your treasure. Good Luck & I wish I lived in Idaho, so I could take some off your hands. Take Care

Visit me at--- www.woodcraftsnquilts.com
ubgoofy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ubgoofy2003 For This Useful Post:
Daisy86duke (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

Thank you everyone! My hopes aren't to high on striking it rich off of this it would be nice to just get my money back in hauling and storing it and maybe a little cash in my pocket. From what I saw I didn't see any bug infestation or mold it all looked as if it were just cut. Thank you ubgoofy2003! That helped a lot! Merrill's Hardwood Store seems very promising! I have quite a few of Slabs as well that they may be interested in

Tags
air dried, black walnut, rough cut black walnut