Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #1

Talking Hello from Belgium !

Hello everyone,

I live in Brussels / Belgium and I speak french, a little dutch and english, but very bad I hope you will be indulgent with all my faults

Two months ago I discovered scroll saw and Intarsia on Internet and all the wonderfull things which can be made by this technic and I said : "WAW, that's exactly what I would like to do".

I found the beautifull patterns from Judy Gale Roberts, Katy Wise, Janette Squarre , Bruce Worthington, Garnett Hall and a few others...

After all my researches, it seems to me that scroll saw is not very widespread in Europe, and Intarsia almost nearly unknown. So it is very difficult to find a good scroll saw, books, magazines, other scrollers or intarsia-ers, wood...

I wanted to buy the DeWalt 788 scroll saw, but it is impossible to find it in Europe. Why ?
The Dremel scrollstation too :-)
Wood in different essences : difficult.

In a few weeks I hope that I can begin my first projects in scroll saw and Intarsia.

I am very glad to have found this scroll saw community. I have already learned a lot from Jim-mex with his Inkscape tutorial and Toucan tutorial which gave me the idea to use this software. I followed all the lessons with the pinguin. Thanks Jim

Thanks to all of you for your beautiful projects.

Philou - frites (belgian-chips) -eater

Last edited by Philou; 02-21-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: correction by my Darling ;-)
Philou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #2

Welcome to the best scroll saw information site.
Don't be afraid to ask any question, there are a lot of people here that are very willing to help. I know, I have received some very good help from them.
Have a nice day and keep making saw dust. Annd we love to see pictures of your work
wjbclocks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Rock 'n Scroller

You've certainly arrived at the best site around for scrollers Philou.You will get lots of help and information here, just ask and someone will be ready with an answer for you. You are right about scrolling in Europe, it is not as popular as in the U.S. and other countries where different woods are easily available. We can't get the high end saws here either but there are a lot of very good alternatives. I have managed to get books frpom Amazon and other sites. Just try Googleing them. Again welcome to the site and good luck with your projects. Hope to see some pictures of your work.

Quote:
I am very glad to have found this scroll saw community. I have already learned a lot from Jim-mex with his Inkscape tutorial and Toucan tutorial which gave me the idea to use this software. I followed all the lessons with the pinguin. Thanks Jim
Yes Jim has been an inspiration to us all. He has a wicked sense of humour too.
Check out the intarsia section regularly too.
Mick
Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Sweet and dusty

Finally someone from Belgium!!

Welcome here Philou, I'm glad to meet you. You found the best forum for scrollsawers, and to meet the most friendly people. You'll love it here.
I'm from Putte (Mechelen) and I know how hard it is to find the right wood, scroll saw, or even people who do know something about intarsia .
Do you have already a scroll saw? take a look at
www.figuurzaagfiguurzagen.be De Pinte (Gent)
www.willyvanhoutte.be Beernem
www.debaptist.nl that's a big one in the Netherlands
and at www.tendotools.be Lier they have a scroll saw too (165€)
I have a Hegner 2 with variable speed from the store in De Pinte.
Books I order by www.amazon.com, they are much cheaper to order there in USA then order in Beernem.
If you have questions just ask them, you'll get help soon.
I speak dutch, english(best), french (good but writing is not so good) and german ( speak, understand, read but don't let me write it!), in our little country we have tree languages and because we are so international almost everyone know english too.
I wish you all the luck in your new hobby,
regards

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Last edited by jim_mex; 02-21-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling mistake - amazon.com - not amazone.com ! - tch, tch, Frieke!
frieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Just love Being Here

Philou : I know that you will enjoy this fine site with penty of topics and patterns also . Their's a lot of great skilled people here , and friendly too . So a big Welcome and we'll rool out the red carpet for you ..........
Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Naughty, but nice!

Hi Philou - Bienvenue, welkom, welcome y bienvenido (the last one is my greeting from Mexico!)

Congratulations on finding the best scrolling forum on the internet and as a bonus you've also found Frieke!!!! I bet she is so happy now to find someone else in Belgium who is interested in scrolling.

Congratulation on following my Inkscape tutorial - I think your English can't be so bad if you can understand me. So when are you going to make the Toucan pattern?

Ref scrolls saws in Europe. The Hegner is a very good saw but may be a little expensive for you. If you prefer to buy a budget saw first take a look at www.amazon.co.uk who have 3 or 4 models listed including Draper, Titan and Erbauer. Also there is a good UK saw from a company called Axminster. If you ask on the forum under the Tools and Blades section you are sure to get some recommendations from European users.

I look forward to seeing your first projects and don't worry about the English, it can only get better!!

Dozing off? - nah, I'm creatively thinking with my eyes closed!
jim_mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

Hi Philou, welcome to the best scrolling forum!

Bob

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!
Greenfield_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
3_M

Hello Philou, Welkom to a great site. I have friends in Diksmuide. Don't know how far you from there. If you have a change, go and visit them. He and his wife made some fantactic scroll saw cuttings all with a hand frame.Hope this works. Hand-cut Milan Cathedral - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Photo Gallery
They only talk Dutch. Email me and I will give you their address. mike@mikesworkshop.com.I think they can help you a lot how to find wood and other things. I have to disagree with you about scrolling not "After all my researches, scroll saw is not very widespread in Europe". Checkthis "http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/". Mike

Home of the FD Blades
3_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to tony coleman

hi philou,
welcome too the site.i too thaught like you when i started scrolling,where do i find books etc.have a look at the amazon site ,you should find what you are looking for.you are certainly right about how widespread scrolling has gone,but sadly not enough in eourope.i shal be checking some of the links posted on some of the replys for scrollsaws.anyway,welcome too the site and if you have anymore questions dont be afraid too ask,help is somthing that is in plentiful supply here.

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/
tony coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Sweet and dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_M View Post
Hello Philou, Welkom to a great site. I have friends in Diksmuide. Don't know how far you from there. If you have a change, go and visit them. He and his wife made some fantactic scroll saw cuttings all with a hand frame.Hope this works. Hand-cut Milan Cathedral - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Photo Gallery
They only talk Dutch. Email me and I will give you their address. mike@mikesworkshop.com.I think they can help you a lot how to find wood and other things. I have to disagree with you about scrolling not "After all my researches, scroll saw is not very widespread in Europe". Checkthis "http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/". Mike
Hey Mike,

I called those people several times but they don't answer, maybe you gave the wrong number?Don't they have email? That would be a lot easyer.
I checked that forum in UK, they have lot of members, but only a very small part of scrollsawers , not fun at all, I'll stay here where I like it. And for us Belgian people, UK is not an option. For example, if you want to order something by amazone.UK you have to have an adress in the UK or they don't send you anything, I order in USA. People from UK or Ireland don't find lot of wood or good scroll saws, believe me , in Europe it is bad for scrollsawers.
In Belgium there is one store who has a forum too, there are five messages in it over the last few years...

Regards

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.
frieke is offline   Reply With Quote