Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #1

Default Sawdust

Hello folks, 2-11-10
I'm a junior member and love making this sawdust all of you talk about. I've been scrolling for 10 years now and loving it. I am retired so I can spend quite a bit of time in the shop. I feel very lucky in this. I have received help in the past from the members concerning sawdust/lung problems. I've followed some very good directions by you and installed a ceiling dust collector, with large shop vac and 4 inch dia. duct to each machine. Maybe overkill, but trying to stay with scrolling. I wear a face mask with two filters. Doctor yesterday told me I may have to give up the hobby! A bummer. So I'm being stubborn and looking for other ways to protect my lungs. I don't want to give up this hobby or the people I have talked to through these threads.
I read once about a breathing unit where the clean air was pumped in through a hose direct to the woodworker. Cannot remember where that article is. If anyone uses a C-Pap machine for night sleep, they will know what I'm getting at. It would be a pain having even a small hose attached to a person while he/she worked in the shop, but better than no work in the shop. I have already gone through all my wood and removed some even tho it was hard to let beautiful wood go. Cedar for one. Many thanks. Mr C (Frank)
Mr C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

Hope all the best for you and pray that you will find a way to stay with the scrollsaw.
Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and prayer Dave. I know other woodworkers must have the same problem as I. My shop is small and with so many dust collectors there is not much room for me. (Not quite that bad). If the state of Oregon had better weather, I could put a scroll saw in the shade of a tree and enjoy the fresh air. Today I'm going out to the college and see if I can talk to the teacher of the woodworking class. Might get some good ideas from him. I'll let you know what I find out. It's worth a try. I retired as an electrician (50years+in the trade), but wish I had been a woodworker instead. Working with wood is a real pleasure.
My saws (yes, I am lucky to have two) one is a DeWalt 788 and other is a Hawk. Hawk isn't used much except when I cut heaver/thicker wood. Has a lot of vibration of which I could never get any help from the factory. The 788 is used 95% of the time.
Thanks again for the reply. Mr C (Frank)
Mr C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

Hi Frank , why don't youpost a question on the Hawk viberation, or just PM Steve at stevessawshop. I have used a Hawk since the early 1990's with no viberation problem at all. saw dust
saw dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #5

Mr.C I know it would be hard to but I think you can rig the C-Pap so you can use it while making sawdust.You can get the full mask that covers your nose and mouth and throw the hose over your shoulder. I have a C-Pap and just for the heck of it I tried it just like i said and I feel you can use it that way ,cause I can if I so need to . Hope this helps Mr.C .....
Sidelinemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Just love Being Here

Wish all the luck in scrolling ...........
Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Maker of holes in Wood

Frank,

Take a look at this unit, it might be a solution for you. Power Mask Positive Pressure Dust Mask - Woodcraft.com I have not used this personally but have read good reviews on the internet for it. This is a unit that is self contained (no air hose) has a wire for the battery compartment that you wear on your belt. As it is a positive pressure mask similar to a CPAP machine it should keep the dust from getting in. I have done alot of looking into these myself and from here the price jumps substantially and there aren't a lot of options I could find (search for PAPR). Hope this helps, I'd hate to see someone have to give up something they love to do, especially scrolling.

Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com
jowshu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Staying Positive

Mr. C I also found the item that Don is suggesting it may be the solution you need to feed your new addiction. Keep us posted.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote