Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Donjor
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Shed-dweller

Default Hi Folks ! (What 'New' saw should I get?)

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum, but would just like to introduce myself. I've been using a 'cheapy' scroll saw for various projects for a couple of years or so now and the machine is begining to let me know it's limits. I'm contemplating buying a replacement, but this time spend a bit more in the hope of getting a better quality saw. I've been browsing the web looking at the Scheppach Deco 405. I'm just wondering if anyone out there is using this saw, and if so, how do you rate it please? Due to a fault with my current machine, I can only use pinned blades. I really am looking to use pinless blades but would also be needing to remove the blade to put through smaller holes, (you know what I mean) for more intricate work, this on a very regular basis. Does the Scheppach Deco 405 have a good 'quick release' system at all, and if not which saw should I maybe looking at instead? Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully I can get some good tips and advice from folks a bit more experienced than myself.
Cheers for now - Timmo
Timmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #2

hiya timmo, welcome to the forum....you've joined the bestest site i know of for plenty of advice and great people....as far as the new scroll saw issue, i'm usin an inherited one, and not able to comment on your new choice (altho i have heard DeWalt is the better way to go)

"Celebrate what you ACCOMPLISH, but raise the bar each time you SUCCEED” …… Mia Hamm
tagordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Staying Positive

Timmo,
Welcome to the family...Where are you located? That will help us in giving you some helpful advice....I'm thinking Europe...

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to tony coleman

hi timmo,i presume you are from eourope when you mention the scheppach brand.
well i too have a scrollsaw by scheppach,.i find it too be a very good saw.the only problem i found with it was the blade clamping system,those allen bolts didnt work great for me ,so i searche online and found a site that does replacement clamps and were easy too replace.they work great.too tighten the blade in the top clamp you simply turn a thumb screw by hand.the bottom clamp is still allen key tightened.i find it easy too release insert and tighten the blad.and it has a tension release lever.oh yes,one other let down is the centre insert which is made of tough plastic ,bu i find it flexes easy enough.hope this helps you in your search for a new saw.

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/
tony coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Shed-dweller

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

To tagordy. I'm looking forward to returning to the forum to gain as much advice as possible. I've never had any woodworking lessons, and I'm certainly no carpenter, but, having said that I do get by with the projects that I attempt - these from building my workshop initially, to lending my hand at woodturning, along with having fun with the scroll saw, and I'll also have a go at anything else which is thrown my direction. It will be great to maybe find out different methods that people use to do their work, and I'm certainly looking forward to exploring the site to gain inspiration for the various sign's that I tend to produce. So, thanks very much for the welcome, and as Arnie said..... I'll be back!

To wood-n-things. Thank you too for the warm welcome to this site - it's great that other folk out there have the same interests. With regard your guess at my location, yes indeed you are right - I'm in the UK. We don't seem to have the range of machines over here from what I can make out, (or I'm not looking in the right places). There are plenty of what I'd class as DIY 'cheapy' saws, this something similar to that which I'm currently using. I would guess that most of these saws cost below £100. Not that I enjoy spending more mony, but I can only find the Scheppach 405, (at anywhere between £250 - £300), which gives a variable speed, and a larger table & throat to work with. The next step up appears to be a Hegner, but I really cannot justify spending £650+ on something like this, that is unless it's really going to dramatically make my life easier in producing the work which I currently do. I'm at the stage of reading as many reviews etc as I can find, but as I previously mentioned, there just doesn't seem that many different saws worth talking about available to buy within the UK. Should you know any different, then please feel free to throw as much advice and information in my direction as you dare care to. Many thanks again for your response.

To tony coleman. You are too correct in spotting that I am within europe - I'm here in good old England. I'm please that you have the machine that I might well end up with, as this gives me a better idea as to it's performance. To be honest, I saw this machine being demonstrated at an exhibition I visited late last year and it came across as more of a 'professional' saw than others which were also on display. However, you talk of the problems in clamping the blade - this would be a big problem if s as I'm looking to be doing plenty of more intricate piercing work, and I can't afford to be faffing around every couple of minutes in vien attempts to clamp the saw blade correctly. I've maybe 'spoilt' somewhat so far with the work I've produced, as I've only had to use the pinned blades. There is a cam quick release on my current saw which allows the removal & refitting of a blade done in a matter of seconds. So, if you could possibly enlighten me as to the clamping system which you've found to be easy & quick to use, it would be very much appreciated. I'm happy that you're happy with this particular model of saw, as it's always better to hear things from the end-user, rather than from some dodgy salesperson just after a quick buck. I look forward to getting back onto this site to gain more valuable information. Thank you too for taking the time to reply.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Shed-dweller

Default I appreciate the advice.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

To tagordy. I'm looking forward to returning to the forum to gain as much advice as possible. I've never had any woodworking lessons, and I'm certainly no carpenter, but, having said that I do get by with the projects that I attempt - these from building my workshop initially, to lending my hand at woodturning, along with having fun with the scroll saw, and I'll also have a go at anything else which is thrown my direction. It will be great to maybe find out different methods that people use to do their work, and I'm certainly looking forward to exploring the site to gain inspiration for the various sign's that I tend to produce. So, thanks very much for the welcome, and as Arnie said..... I'll be back!

To wood-n-things. Thank you too for the warm welcome to this site - it's great that other folk out there have the same interests. With regard your guess at my location, yes indeed you are right - I'm in the UK. We don't seem to have the range of machines over here from what I can make out, (or I'm not looking in the right places). There are plenty of what I'd class as DIY 'cheapy' saws, this something similar to that which I'm currently using. I would guess that most of these saws cost below £100. Not that I enjoy spending more mony, but I can only find the Scheppach 405, (at anywhere between £250 - £300), which gives a variable speed, and a larger table & throat to work with. The next step up appears to be a Hegner, but I really cannot justify spending £650+ on something like this, that is unless it's really going to dramatically make my life easier in producing the work which I currently do. I'm at the stage of reading as many reviews etc as I can find, but as I previously mentioned, there just doesn't seem that many different saws worth talking about available to buy within the UK. Should you know any different, then please feel free to throw as much advice and information in my direction as you dare care to. Many thanks again for your response.

To tony coleman. You are too correct in spotting that I am within europe - I'm here in good old England. I'm please that you have the machine that I might well end up with, as this gives me a better idea as to it's performance. To be honest, I saw this machine being demonstrated at an exhibition I visited late last year and it came across as more of a 'professional' saw than others which were also on display. However, you talk of the problems in clamping the blade - this would be a big problem if s as I'm looking to be doing plenty of more intricate piercing work, and I can't afford to be faffing around every couple of minutes in vien attempts to clamp the saw blade correctly. I've maybe 'spoilt' somewhat so far with the work I've produced, as I've only had to use the pinned blades. There is a cam quick release on my current saw which allows the removal & refitting of a blade done in a matter of seconds. So, if you could possibly enlighten me as to the clamping system which you've found to be easy & quick to use, it would be very much appreciated. I'm happy that you're happy with this particular model of saw, as it's always better to hear things from the end-user, rather than from some dodgy salesperson just after a quick buck. I look forward to getting back onto this site to gain more valuable information. Thank you too for taking the time to reply.

ps. Apologies to all if I've put the same messages up twice - I'm new !!! (and trying to find my way around)
Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 AM   #7

hi timmo,to be honest i cant remember the name of the company i got the new blade clamps from,i purchased them almost a year ago ,so i hope you understand,i do know the site was in britain.just google scrollsaw blade clamps and im sure somthing will come up.
they were easy too replace,and i find them easy too use and quick,like you i do alot of internel cuts so the new clamp are way better than the old .i will have a look again and if i find the site i will send it on too you.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #8

I recently bought a new scrollsaw myself. Here in Canberra -Australia we dont have much of a choice of a decent brand so I chose the Excalibur by Carbatec. I pretty much have fallen in love with it as it is sooooooooo easy to change blades or postion into another hole as it has a clamping system. The only problem that Idid have recently is that I had to re-grease the clamping screws (blades) and o ring (that are just inside the end of the clamping head) Now it's back to working just great. Not cheap but well worth it!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Shed-dweller

Thanks Theresa for your advice - I'll have a look to see the availability, (if any), here in the UK. This really is a good site to pick up decent information, info that you know works as it's coming staight from the horses mouth, (as they say).

And Tony - no worries that you can't quite remember the place where you purchased your blade clamps. I've had a lok about, and I see that Hegner do a kit. Whether this kit fits other machines other than the Hegner, well, I'm not too sure but will hopefully find out.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #10

hi timmo,i had a browse around again,but no joy.if you google REPLACEMENT SCROLLSAW BLADE CLAMPS,im sure you will come across somthing.i had a look a hegener clamps,well pictures of them ,and i dont think the would fit the scheppach.toataly different mounting system.you could put the same search words into google images,i think this is the way i riginaly came across the ones i purchased.