Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #1

Default Hello

Hi, I'm Jeremy from the UK. Believe it or not I had never heard of scrolling before last weekend! Looking it up and finding this site has got me fired up ready to enjoy a great hobby. I shall now start looking at advice on getting a saw and going to the Alexandra Palace Show in March. Any recommendations on things to look out for? Cheers.
revjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #2

Welcome to a great site. There are very many people here who are more than willing to give you any help you may need. The best thing to do now is browse through all the topics here. There is a ton of information waiting for you there.
Dennis
Knothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #3

Welcome, I am sure you will find scrolling a very rewarding past time. saw dust
saw dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #4

Jeremy,
The 2 most important things are variable speed and the ability to use plain end blades. I feel everything else is personal choice. Steve Good's web site has lots of very good projects. Scroll Saw Patterns
John
je_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
Rock 'n Scroller

Hi Jeremy,
I'm from the UK too and it's good to see another Brit joining the board. There are a few of us here, but the great thing about this family is they come from all over the globe. You will get plenty of help here. Don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how daft you think they are. I've been scrolling for just over a year now and this site has been invaluable.
We can't get some of the high end saws like the dewalt 788 over in europe but there are a lot of cheaper saws on the market that are perfect for the beginner. I started with a Erbauer 90w variable speed from Screw fix which my wife bought me for a surprise christmas pressie. I'm still using it every day I get the chance. I made a few very simple modifications to make blade changing easier and quicker. It came with an integral lamp and flexible shaft for rotary tools. I will upgrade to a more expensive saw when I can afford it but I get excellent results with this one, and for less than 100 now. The Rexon VS4003A also from Screw fix looks a decent buy at 94. It has variable speed, quick release tension, quick blade change and other goodies. I'm sure others will jump in with thier preferences. All I can say is that in my opinion I wouldn't buy something for hundreds of pounds until you get the bug properly,( which won't take long ). Your first saw will always come in handy as back up or a second saw. Sorry to be so long winded.
Mick