Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Default Dewalt blade length

Hi there, I'm a new member.

I'm borrowing a Dewalt saw from a friend to see if I like it. One problem I'm having is with blade length. 5 in. blades are not all 5 in. Unless the blade measures 5 1/4 I have a hard time getting it to fit in the upper and lower clamps. Is there any way to adjust the distance between clamps? Are there certain brands of blades that measure longer than others? Any help would be appreciated.

T. Coleman
tcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

All of them should work, sometimes the arms on my 788 go slightly out of alignment when changing blades.

Make sure tension is removed and then align the arms, and install the blade.

if push comes to shove, you could use a pair of snips or diagonal cutters to slightly reduce each of the ends of the blade, although that is an extreme case fix.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

Thank you Peter. My problem is not that the blade is too long, some of them are too short.

T. Coleman
Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Staying Positive

If they are from retailers they should all be 5 inches in length. You can still find some older blades out there for 3" and 4" scroll saws. be sure to look on the package and use the 5" blades.

By the way there is no need to post the same question in different areas of the forum. Someone will get to your question..have a little patience. Welcome to the forum & that is a nice friend willing to lend you his 788 to try out.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #5

I am not a Dewalt owner but most of the saws are build with the same basic idea two bars upper and lower with blade clamps at one end and the other has some kind of tension bar at the back or other end. Try to get to the back tension bar if wood-n-things suggestions don't work and release some of the tension at the back to lower the front (clamp end) this should male your blades work.

This is usally the fix for blades getting too long not to short but if it has a screw at the back it works both ways......

Mine is a Dremal and Mine has no adjustment and I had to replace the metal bar and two metal pins to get it to spec.

Hope this helps...

Hammer
HAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

Thank you Mike. I have a habit of being redundant, that's why I posted multiple places.
Still, I need blades that are 5.25 in. Anything shorter I have a hard time clamping. Has anyone retrofitted the machine with some kind of plate on the screw end that bears against the left side where the set screw is?

T. Coleman
Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
3_M

Hi T. All blades are 130 mm. That is about 5 1/8". Does not matter what company you are buying from. Mike

Home of the FD Blades
3_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky788scroller

Heres my three guesses.
#1- on the saws motor it says "Type 2" on it.
or
#2- you arent moving the tension lever over fully to the right when you are installing blades
or
#3- the upper arm isnt fully down when you try installing the blade.

Covering those three guesses in reverse... be sure you push a little bit on the upper arm to make sure it is all the way down before putting in the blade. Some people think overtightening one of the bolts on the saw works to help keep the upper arm raised when changing blades, and it shouldnt be that way, it does more harm than good.
Moving the tension lever fully to the right before clamping in a blade...pretty self explanatory.
The Type 2 thing on the motor... There were a bunch of the first 'type 2' saws that were manufactured with a part that was way out of tolerance specs, causing the arms to not go close enough together. It is a wedge-like piece inside the saw. For that, id suggest taking it to a Dewalt service center as I think they volantarily were correcting those with the issues.

Oh, and, opposite the thumbscrew you turn to tighten the blade should be a small setscrew. That is what the blade should be getting pushed against when its being tightened. here is no need for anything else, that system works very nicely.Be sure they are there.

Last edited by lucky788scroller; 01-08-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: cuz I spell like an idiot at times
lucky788scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #9

Very helpful, Dale. I'll look into those things. TC
Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to tony coleman

hi tc,just want too welcome you too the site from another tc....enjoy

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/
tony coleman is offline   Reply With Quote