Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Daddy Daycare
Talking New and Scrolling it.

I want to take this time to introduce myself. My name is James and I am new father of a baby girl. As you can tell from my name I have traded roles with my wife since she was the money winner in our family. Well not really, the government doesn't know whats it doing and I like millions of others am just another casualty in the giant steam roller called life.

I have just bought a DeWalt 788 that came with a free stand and light. I used to scroll way back when, I was in school in those days. I figured if I was home might as well make some money while I was there, or at least try to.

So far all I have been able to make is a few (2) key chains, (1) "Whatever it is" dog thing and some just messin around things like puzzles. I loved the blades that came with the DeWalt but alas, they only give you 2. Huh? My sister broke one of them and I only had one left. I have since gone out and bought a few differant blades. Dremel blades= Junk another one I can't think of right now was junk also. I stopped as Sears and bought a few Craftsman types but I have not been able to find some that Can cut a 90 degree turn without rounding it out. Any info on a good blade for sharp corners and lettering would be great. I have read on here that the Flying Dutchman and Olson are good blades but after spending over $40.00 in 2 days for junk I'm not sure what to believe. Don't even understand blade differances yet.
Daddy Daycare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
scroller and moderator

Hi and welcome to our great forum. Give Mike a call and he can help you pick out what size you need for the projects you are going.
Mike's Workshop selling Flying Dutchman brand fret and scrollsaw blades
when I started I was pulling out my hair and Mike guided me through. I know you will not be sorry. Call him.
Diane
PuffityDragon on AFSP
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
Puzzle Making Muggle

Hi, and welcome to the board!

I'll endorse Flying Dutchman blades, and Mike's Workshop as a source for them as well. Great service and great blades.

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior member...Sweeet

Welcome Daddy DayCare, you've found a great place to get information, have fun too. By all means try FlyingDutchman blades. Mike is a great source to get them, and some good information at his site about blades.
Olson also has some good blades too, you can get those at Rockler's.
It takes a while to understand what different blades do for you, but keep searching for info on the blades and you will be a pro in no time, and if you haven't subscribed to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Craft magazine I suggest you do, or at least get a copy at the book store, or Lowe's.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

Bens scrollsaw has pegas blades here Bens Scroll Saw.com
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Daddy Daycare

TY for the welcome and the info. I have emailed Mike an requested a sample of his blades. I hope that when they get here I will be a little bit better than I was in the beginning and not break one of them on the second cut. I am going to try my first portrait today with the blades that I have on hand. Not sure if I am doing to do John Wayne, Jeff Gordon, Elvis, or Tim McGraw. All of which are going to be for Christmas if they turn out good. Does anyone know of any photo shop or illustrator program out there that can get me started on the right track. My wife has a few of them but she won't let me mess around with them.
Daddy Daycare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky788scroller

you will be in shock going from the hardware store purchase blades to some real blades from Mike.The cost alone, you get three times as many blades, for what they cost in the hardware store, and blades that are so much better.Your gonna love scrolling now!

« Hello | New Member »