Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #1

Default New to the board and the craft

Hello all,

I came across this site looking for images (and found some great ones!). I admit, I don't even own a scroll saw, but I've had some fun with my little jigsaw, and while I have not done decorative carving, I've done some pretty intricate wood carving making tools for the work I used to do. I've also done some burning, but painting is more along the lines of what I'm used to.

I am very motivated to make some things though. I moved not long ago to a cabin in the mountains (where I've always dreamed of living) and I'm working on dressing the place up a bit. Maybe more importantly, I want so much to keep in touch with a long-distance 13-year-old daughter I've been cut off from, and I thought some unique hand-made things might help to break the ice a bit. (Or keep it broken ... long story and this isn't the place to tell it.)

She loves wolves and cats especially, as well as many other animals, and things with her name on it (her name is very unique, so anything would have to be specially made for her) and I just want a way to show how much I am thinking of her and how much I love her. So I'm looking for things she can decorate with, and things she can actually use (and myself as well), though her taste is far less rustic than mine.

Hope the personal info is ok ... I wasn't sure just what to put in an introduction. But it looks like a nice place to be.

My best to you all!
k-mom
kliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Laying into Inlay

K-Mom, Warning!!! Scrolling can be VERY addictive!! If you do decide to get a scroll saw, there are some features that you will want to have. First, be sure it has more than one speed, variable speed is best, (that means you dial up just the speed you want). Second, You will definitly want a saw that will accept pinless blades. This will make inside cuts easier. Also, something that has a quick blade change is can make your life easier. another thing to consider is getting a foot pedal. A foot pedal will turn the saw on and off. Mine is one that the saw is running only when my foot is on it. A foot pedal can give you greater control.
I'd love to see some of your other work. And if and when you do start scrolling, post pictures. We love that here.
Oh yea... And, Welcome to the board. I think you'll find this a great experience. People here are always willing to help with just about any question you have. Great bunch of folks!!!

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
No task is too tedious for Art.
Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
Featherwood Woodcrafts
JimSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

LOL, Thanks for the warning!

I doubt if I will be able to afford a saw anytime soon, but thanks for the tips. I appreciate those and will keep them in mind.

I took a look at your site ... nice work.

I keep being reminded of other things I have done (I guess I'm a craft-a-holic and I try different mediums) ... I have done some similar work in metals -- it was supposed to be a jewelry class, but I found I liked using a jeweler's saw to cut designs by hand from sheets of metal, but it's TERRIBLY time-consuming. Not that that's a bad thing, really, but I can appreciate the idea of a powered saw too. And I LOVE the feel and look of various woods, so I am thinking this kind of craft will be much more suited to my tastes.

I wish I had pics to post ... I don't have much of my work with me anymore. I had to get rid of a LOT of my things when I moved out here, though I did manage to keep most of my tools and some of my specialty supplies. Can't wait to get more settled in and have some time to take up decorative work again. In the meantime, I'm having to make some bits of furniture first ... the practical before the decorations! But it's so nice to see the work here ... it's inspiring me to do a little decorative work on the practical pieces I need as well, if only I can give myself enough time.

Thanks for the welcome!
kliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky788scroller

Welcome aboard. You know,I was just adding this up in my head, you mentioned a 13 year old daughter (by the way, I am sorry about the situation your in hun),you mention you are a self proclaimed craftaholic, have found enjoyment in using a jewelers saw,and you love the look of various woods........... To me that equals a lot of of handmade jewelry, using different materials, metals, woods, maybe some carving here and there. Now, what teenage girl doesnt love jewelry? I think that could work out great for you. And since you already have the craft bug in you, youve got a good feel on how to be creative. For jewelry making, you can get by with a handheld coping saw, or jewelers saw, especially since a lot of the parts are small anyways. And, Mike the Flying Dutchman blade guy has blades that will work great for you too. You can buy the little hooks and clasps and other jewelry parts, and use the jewelers saw to maybe cut out a pair of teeny wolves and attach earring hooks on them. I dont know the situation, but, I bet either she would love them and show them off immediately, or she would admire them in private, then put them in a safe place, and quietly cherish them forever.
So, theres a couple ideas.A couple other simple things like barrettes can be made relatively easy, you could even us your painting, or woodburning skills to decorate them, or paint on Klias !
Again, welcome aboard here.At the end of your last post, its evident you suffer from the same thing as the rest of us........ having enough time! Do stop in often please.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Senior member...Sweeet

Welcome to the forum.....glad you found us. Come by often, read lots of posts for more information about scrolling, so when you have enough of the green stuff to buy your saw you will be all ready to jump in. In the meantime as Dale said you could make earrings with a hand saw or maybe even carving them out.
Don't forget to post some project photos, cause we sure do love to see what everyone is working on......gives us food for thought!

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Filler

Kliasmom welcome!!!

A lot of nice folks here and a great place to learn and ask lots of questions.

VB...

Aspire To Inspire Before You Expire.

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
VB... is offline   Reply With Quote