Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Newbie with a big problem

Hi all, I'm just getting started with scroll sawing. My problem is that my new saw just stopped working. Dremel 1830 model.

I had been going through the exercises in the John Nelson Scroll Saw Workbook. Made 4 exercise #2 cats, 2 #3 fish and did one 4 piece scotty dog puzzle.

Then I started on #4 butterfly to work on interior cuts and about midway through the first side of cuts, after having reattached the blade for an interior cut I turned the saw back on and nothing.

I did reset the electrical outlet and even tested other tools (including table saw) and they run fine. Even after a couple of days of just letting the machine sit there's nothing.

I estimate I've only used the machine for about 3.5 hours (does that seem right, given what I've made). Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
Robert
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #2

I'm not familiar with the Dremel but check to see if there is a fuse on the machine. On the Dewalt there is a fuse that will blow if the blade bogs. Hope this helps...
moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Just Goofy !

Robert, I have a DeWalt 788 & the switch is on top of the saw. After using it for some time it quit working also. Maybe a little longer than yours, but, it was due to dust in the switch. Blow the switch out with air. I remedied the problem by getting a foot switch & plugging it into the power source & just leave the on-off switch,on the saw, on all the time. Hope you can find the problem. It also could just be a bad switch too. Perk
ubgoofy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #4

Check your power switch. My saw, which has considerably more than 3 hours on it, was acting very erratically. Turned out to be the switch. Called Dremel, their customer service is was great.

Kevin
Fremmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

Robert, put the saw back in the box and take it back where ever you got it from, No saw should quit working after just 3.5 hours regardless of the reason.
Marsha
Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
I'm not really a cowboy.

Marsha idea is best. It probably is the switch, but a new saw should last more than 3 1/2 hrs. Did the switch have like a rubber or plastic boot over it. If not it may have dust in it. If that don't work. Take it back, it may be defective. If you got it from Home Depot or Lowe's there shouldn't be any problem to exchange it.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I'll try blowing out the switch (which is on top of the machine) and if that doesn't work I'll return it to Menards. I bought it Apr. 20, (then got busy with other things) and the receipt says I have until 7/16 to return it for cash.

Kind of frustrating that there would be such a flaw in the saw's design or a defective one.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
I'm not really a cowboy.

I have had 2 Dremels an 1830 and 1630. Don't sell them short. Both were good machines. I still have the 1830. I just wanted to upgrade to the EX-21.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #9

I agree with the others, I would bring it back after so little use. But after owning one for several years, it is most probably the switch. I got dust in it so much that finally I bypassed the switch and put a foot switch in. That worked great until I got the dewalt, but even that had the "china" fault that I had to fix before I could use it....
ScrollerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #10

Update:

I went home and took out the unit housing the on/off switch. It was brand new clean. Turned the saw over to shake as much saw dust out as possible, still dead. So I'll box up the saw and return it, I hope they have another one, it was a good saw when it worked.

Thanks again everyone.