Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Donjor
Welcome Members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #1

Question Pattern search

I am a new member looking for a pattern for a toy that was a man on a trapeze, it was activated by a twisted string and two long sticks. My father made one for me when I was small, I have made them for my kids and grand kid, but I am trying to make one for my great granddaughter and can't get it to work, so I have forgotten something. Imagine that!!
If anyone remembers please let me know.
Thanks
AKbushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #2

HI AKbushpilot. I do know what you are talking about, but just can't find it. but I do wont to welcome you. your friend Evie.
minowevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Staying Positive

I hope this helps you.
There's an old folky squeeze-powered version of this toy. Same floppy doll with stiff/solid arms, but instead of a motor-driven axle that the doll is "gripping" there are two pieces of string - say, fishing line - as the "axle".

In a relaxed state, the two pieces of string are (mostly) parallel (but not crossed over) and pass through two sets of vertical holes, two holes in each "hand".

The doll hangs from this pair of strings between an H-shaped support. Above the bar of the H it's long enough for the doll to hang freely, and the H is wide enough for the doll to move freely. Below the bar of the H it's about half again as long as the top. This bar connects the two uprights rather loosely. You could drill a hole all the way through all three pieces and hold it together with elastic or rubber, or even fishing line or string.

The key to all of this is to balance the tension of the horizontal bar of the H with the tension in the two lines through the doll's hands, and the distance between the pairs of holes in the dolls hands should be balanced against the overall width of the H supports itself.

To activate the trapeze doll, flip it over once or twice so the lines cross.

Squeezing the bottom of the H-supports loads tension via leverage at the top of the H, causing the wrapped pair of strings or fishing line to want to unwind. The doll flops over. Done right the doll will want to flip over more than once, re-loading the tension in the dual lines at the top for another flip back the other way.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Staying Positive

Here is a video that may help...if not it's fun to watch.

YouTube - That Daring Young Man On The Flying Trapeze

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote