Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Upcoming Events
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #1

Default Sarratoga show (NWA)

Well as usual they really did an amazing job, well organized, with lots of vendors, seminars and magnificent work.
I ran into Carole and Joe, Barbara, Diane, Mindy, Dave and one of my Judy Gale roberts class mates and a few others I cant remmember (my appologies.)
I didn't take many pictures but Mindy and Diane did and I am sure they will post some.
I spent some time with Nilus and family (Hawk) and checked out their 20" saw.
I will report on it when I have more time, I do like it. I also spent time with RJR (sandflee) and we talked about customers having trouble contacting them. That is a common problem with smaller companies, my friend Richie made some great suggestions regarding that issue. I will report on that also.
Bottom line, it was lots of fun and I really enjoyed seeing all of these old friends.

didn't spend as much as I had planed to, bummer.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Last edited by Rolf; 03-25-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolf For This Useful Post:
jellis (06-27-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
scroller and moderator

Was wonderful to see you again Rolf. Couldn't not post the pictures before because the internet at the hotel was horrid.
Diane
PuffityDragon on AFSP
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Excited to hear about the new Hawks. Hopefully someone got a close up of the blade holders

-----Randy
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #4

Diane,
It is always fun to meet up with you and the other forum members.
The scalloped bowl that Carole had on display was really impressive.

Randy The blade holders are the same as the solid block aluminum ones used on the later Hawks. The differencence is that now the top blade holder pops in just like the bottom. I did not have my SLR with me so I dont have any great close ups.

Last edited by Rolf; 03-25-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
cute and crafty

It was great seeing and chatting with old friends, and having our "second annual dinner get-together".

I was good and only bought a few sanding supplies, but it took discipline not to buy some of the gorgeous pieces of wood that were available, and which would probably just sit in my shop.

I also had fun with my presentation. It was my first "box" presentation, and the group was pretty diverse, but I had fun and hope people came away with some useful information. Most of my time was spent at the Advanced Machinery booth (Hegner) encouraging people whose scroll saw was sitting around collecting dust to start using it again. And to encourage the "woodworker's wives" to could get involved, as well.

And it is true that if you can use a sewing machine, you will probably take quickly to scrolling. Wonder if it's also true that if you can scroll, you'll take to a sewing machine?

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

My mother tought me to sew at a very young age. I have had my own sewing machine since my early 20's
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

Hi Rolf,
I was talking with you as you cut that mini reindeer on the new Hawk. It is a really nice saw and the company is owned by a great family but the price is just too high for my pocket.

That said, I am a true believer in you get what you pay for, and on top of that it is an American made product.

You guys should have seen Rolf go on that saw. He cut a small reindeer out of a piece of pine and it really turned out nice. It was a pleasure speaking with you Rolf, maybe the next time it will be longer.

BE WELL.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
scroller and moderator

Rick, didn't see you this year
Diane
PuffityDragon on AFSP
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

Rick,
You came up all the way from Florida, WOW. I hope you have family or other connections here up north.

I had just sat down at the saw and was trying to get a feel for it. I would have liked to sit at the saw for a while and put it through its paces. I must admit I really enjoy demonstarting scrolling and talking to people about it. That was the one thing I thing I felt was a bit lacking in the Hawk booth. They needed to have a stack of pre patterned stock and had someone scrolling all day demonstrating the saws top and bottom feeding capabilities and other features. And also encourage people to sit and try the saw.
But in defense of them I think the booth availability was fairly last minute so they probably didn't have much time to prep. What also was great they had brought a collection of spare parts with them for the older saws.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #10

This was the 5th year for us coming to the show . Ever year have learned something new and have met new friends and see old ones.
Rolf We have missed for a couple years we finally met was a pleasure talking with you . Mindy , we met before but really could not talk as the booth was busy in Ohio , was a pleasure talking with her and watching her make her 1st pen.
Carole , did a great job on her seminar had a full house , Thanks for arranging the dinner reservations. was a pleasure to talk with Joe .
The Hawk team(Nilus and family) join us for dinner also.
Dargon /Diane and Robert , Was are neighbors for the weekend . Robert proally has a few new burise marks lol
Was a pleasure meeting everone
Plus many more we met
Sure glad I was the angel