Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Default EX 21 with the "knock?"

I recently upgraded to the EX21 because my Dewalt had the "knock." Now I am getting a lot of vibration with the EX and a similar knocking. Anyone else have this problem?
w.2014.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #2

There could be a few different causes for this.

Make sure the arm is level with the table. I use a block and move it along the length of the arm, under the arm, and make sure the gap between arm and bock does change. Then, leave that knob alone.

Once the arm is perfectly level, make sure the blade does not move forward and back. If it does, loosen the bolts around the motor, and on the slowest speed setting, rotate the motor both ways until you find the sweet spot where blade travel (forward and back) hits that minimal sweet spot. (you may have to remove the bolts, to rotate the motor far enough to reach the optimal position) Once you do that, you saw is tuned.

If the knocking continues, you might have more serious issues. Hopefully you purchased from Seyco, and I would call them for a more detailed analysis.

--------Randy
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

My EX-21 started making a noise a while ago. Turned out to be a loose nut that connects the crank arm to the rocker (see photo). At a given speed setting (the indicator mark pointing directly to the back of the saw) the saw will make a lot of noise. If I pushed the link arm away from the motor shaft the noise would stop. The nut that needs tightening is not visible but it takes a 8mm wrench. The wrench shown in the photo was made by another member of this forum, as was the photo. I made my wrench out of a piece of bent metal and filed the opening to fit on the 8mm nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EX-21 #2.jpg (51.5 KB, 86 views)
Tom J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #4

Randy, I am new the the EX and don't know which knob and adjusting you are referring to. How exactly do change the parallel of the arms?
w.2014.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #5

The attached info shows the knob at the back of the saw that is adjusted to get the upper arm parallel to the table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adjuster knob.jpg (98.9 KB, 65 views)
Tom J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Got Moose?

Call Seyco 1-800-462-3353 and talk to Ray.

Is the table level and solid? Loosen the motor bolts, insert a blade, turn the speed down, turn on the saw and rotate the motor looking for the spot where the knock is eliminated and also looking for the spot where the blade goes straight up and down. As Randy points out, the knob on the rear top can be used to get the upper arm out of level. If you use it for added tension, you have to return it to the starting position each time the blade is moved. Keep the upper arm parallel to the table unless you absolutely need the added tension.

But call Seyco.
Terry
Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Intarsia Moderator

Mine started knocking not too long ago. Sent a video of it to Ray - calling him tomorrow to see what needs to be done.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #8

w.2014.h or Janette, will you please post what the fix is for the knock. I can add the info to the fine tuning info that I printed out for the EX, just in case I need the info.
Thanks and hope someone comes up with a fix.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Intarsia Moderator

Best to call Rey at Seyco and describe the problem to him. He's the EX expert.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #10

I just purchased and EX-21 and don't have any issue with my saw. When someone reports an issue with their equipment that I also own, and a fix, I print that info out and file it with that particular equipment. With this particular case, I printed out Tom J's highly valuable information. Should the day ever come that I develop the same issue I can just look into my files and know where to start to find and fix the problem.
That is why I asked what Ray recommended for your fix as well. It may be the same as Tom's or it could be something else.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote