Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Puzzle Making Muggle

Default When did DeWalt begin to outsource?

Hi, gang.....I thought it would be interesting to design a poll to look at scrollsaw reliability, and am in the process of putting one together. A common issue brought up on the forum discusses the DeWalt and how problems began once the company began to outsource it's production from the Excalibur people in Canada to overseas. On the poll, looking at user experience, I would like to separate the two (pre-outsource, post-outsource) to see if there really is a difference, and how significant it is.

Does anyone know about when the change occurred (what year)?

Thanks!

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scrolling Days For This Useful Post:
Terry Murphy (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

Shawn, it would be fun to call DeWalts customer service and ask those direct questions. Be very honest and upfront with all your concerns, and most of all put them on the spot.
Let them know on how highly rated the saw was before, and then after the outsource. Also you do not plan on making any purchase from the until they bring the quality back. Having a broke or unreliable saw does us no good.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Puzzle Making Muggle

Thanks, Woodsman.....even before I get to that point, I'm more interested to see how much of a difference there actually is. My own saw was purchased "post outsource" (at least I think it was) and it runs and operates perfectly.

Having said that, the best way to look at reliability is to poll people who have bought the product, and there is probably no better sample population than this message board.

I am going to design a poll which looks at all of the major brands, but would like to split the pre/post outsourcing Dewalts, since there seems to be a lot of discussion on the board that the quality dropped.

On the poll, it would help if I could say "DeWalt purchased after Year xxxx" so that the poll is more accurate.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Puzzle Making Muggle

Okay.....I've been Googling around, and of course, the best answers come right from this Forum.

In an older thread.... DeWalt Scroll Saw Gloat .....it is discussed that the pre-outsourced saws were labeled "Type 1" which can be found on the label, and the post-outsource saws "Type 2."

It looks like the year was 2003.

Here is a letter from Tom Sommerville, who ran the Canadian company which had prior made the DeWalt:

July 31, 2003

Attention: Mr. Ray Seymore

Dear Ray,
Just thought I would write to you in response to your inquiries. As of February 2003, Sommerville Design and Mfg. INC. officially ceased manufacturing the DeWalt DW723 scroll saw and related products.

The production of this saw has moved to the far east in order to capitalize on some cost reduction opportunities, therefore you can appreciate the fact that we have no influence on any future models with respect to quality or features. I am also unable to predict what changes, if any will be instituted.

This is going to allow us to concentrate more time on further developing and refining the "Excalibur" line of products. Specifically we will continue to supply the EX-19 and EX-30 machines with North American made electrical components and local materials whenever possible.

I hope this brings you up to speed on current events and answers some of your questions.

We are looking forward to the "new" future.

Yours truly,
Tom Sommerville

SEYCO

I hope to get the poll designed and up later tonight after I get back from work.....kind of curious to see the responses people share.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #5

Shawn
What you want to do is not so easy.
When you look at saw or any product reliabilty a lot (in my opinion)can be perception and product knowledge.
An example is my relationship with my Hawk G4. I don't think that I have ever had a problem with my saw. But the reality is that I have had some things go bad but I have the ability to fix most anything so I look at it as normal wear and tear and not a defect.
Now if I recieve a dead machine right out of the box thats another issue.
My point is how many Dewalt issues are a result of not understanding the machines and how many are real defects?
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Puzzle Making Muggle

I see where you're coming from Rolf, which is one of the reasons why I want to put some thought into the poll. Instead of just having subjective coices such as grades (A,B,C, etc), or "very reliable", "not reliable", etc, I would like to have choices such as what you are eluding too (requiring simple self maintainence, requiring a new part, dead out of box, etc).

Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Puzzle Making Muggle

For what it's worth, I just checked and my DeWalt is a "Type 2" made in Taiwan.

I think there will definitely be a difference in the poll between the Type 1 and 2's, since the reason companies outsource is to save money, and cheaper costs usually lead to cheaper products.

Having said that, I'm curious how much of a difference there is (not just between the Dewalt 1 and 2, but between some of the other brands as well).

Old 01-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #8

I am sure mine is a type 2 because its only about 3 years old now..That being said I have only ever had one problem, and I am not really calling it a problem because every other saw I have owned ( Two Deltas and a Dremel ) all gave me fits when dust got into the switch's.. I really wonder if this is actually a problem or if its user neglect..for instance ever since the first time this happen to me I have always cleaned off the saw after every use. I don't let it set for days with piles of sawdust all over and around it. I have a vac right next to the saw and clean it off after each use and have never had a issue since.

This sort of goes along with what Rolf said..is it really a faulty saw or user error/neglect? that would be a tough call to make..most people probably think I am extreme...maybe maybe not..I just like a clean shop and work area..anyone that would buy a used tool from me will know it was taken care of too..

Kevin
mowerman1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #9

Shawn, I have the type 2 and it is less than 2 years old. It started making loud knocking sounds and was vibrating really bad. I took it the local repair center and they replaced the motor, cricuit board and something else. It is working a lot better now and they some how got covered under warratanty. That is just my 2 cents.
jellis
jellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #10

I've had mine for just over 3 month and the circuit board went out. and its a type 2

Jeff Robinson
Panama City Fl.
Cutting with EX-21
Jeff R is offline   Reply With Quote