Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2002, 09:07 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Gravel_Girl
Default Cypress wood bark removal

Have not tried this on cypress knees, but it works to remove bark from walking sticks: Clamp the piece to a table and then get out your weed whacker, rev it up and you can whip every shred of bark right off and it doesn't hurt the inside wood.
Gravel_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
Banned

Default Re: Cypress wood bark removal

: Gravel-girl, i'm glad to see someone else likes the subtle approach to a work of art. *I used to use a draw knife to peel the bark off of a walking stick. *Then I found that my 4' side grinder could be fitted with a 36 grit sanding disk. *It makes a HUGE mess but it does make short work of the bark. Next time, I will set up outside and direct the chips into the flower bed.
Captain_Bandaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 05:01 PM   #3

Default Re: Cypress wood bark removal

To remove cypress bark, boil the knee in water. This also stains the wood to a light tan one at the same time.