Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Crafstman sander

Hello;
Any comments on a craftsman model # 113.225931 combo 9" disc and i think 6" x 48" belt sander.
Is it any good? It is used, and is going for $100.00
How much would this weigh?
And would it fit into a trunk of a Cobalt? without taking it apart....

I have a harbor freight one now...it is well.... not great, i'm sorry i bought it.. Was thinkin about upgrading.
Thanks
Rob
Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Perpetual Student

Location: Rouzerville, PA - about 20 miles southwest of Gettysburg PA

Check how old it is. I bought mine in 1987. I've had to replace the main drive shaft once because the disk wouldn't release, but that was years ago.

I think I have one of the bearings on the idler shaft for the belt starting to chatter, so for a 25 year old machine - that ain't to bad. And I think I'm going to loose the motor sometime in the not too distance future - it has a loose shaft in it.

Mine has the molded and machined bed for the 6x48 inch belt, but they had already moved to aluminum for the disk & the disk table. I think the later versions have the bent/shaped steel bed for the belt.

Check the belt tightening mechanism, also. Make sure it will true the belt and let it run straight. If the seller has an old belt that has been on the machine for awhile, it may be stretched and not true up correctly.

I think $100 is a good price for a good running machine but make sure it is a good running machine. But if the seller won't let you fire it up and make sure it works right - walk away.

You can get the manual from online, but parts to check for are the stop fence, that mounts right behind the disk and hangs over the belt and the two wrenches that are used to work the belt tightening mechanism. You might check to see if the bed will move to the vertical position, although I never use it that way.

Tony
Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Rob

My luck with Craftsman tools has not been very good. It might be a little better than the Harbor Freight one but probably not much better.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #4

My C-man sander is an early 70's model. When I got it, I did a total teardown and rebuild. I had to replace the bearings, but that was it. After cleaning it, putting a new belt on and sanding disc, and getting the tracking tuned in, I haven't had to do anythng else to it in the 2 years I've had it. For the record, my dad used a vintage 50's model for 30 years+. It outlasted him as it is still sitting in his old shop.

If kept clean, lubed and tuned, they are very good home-shop type sanders. Nobody is going to mistake one for a Delta or Powermatic, but I certainly would trade up a Harbor Freight for one in a heartbeat.

Tony - It sounds like your motor problem might simply be worn out motor bearings. They aren't that hard to replace and should be fairly inexpensive to buy.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Perpetual Student

Location: Rouzerville, PA - about 20 miles southwest of Gettysburg PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpuzzles View Post
My C-man sander is an early 70's model. When I got it, I did a total teardown and rebuild. I had to replace the bearings, but that was it. After cleaning it, putting a new belt on and sanding disc, and getting the tracking tuned in, I haven't had to do anythng else to it in the 2 years I've had it. For the record, my dad used a vintage 50's model for 30 years+. It outlasted him as it is still sitting in his old shop.

If kept clean, lubed and tuned, they are very good home-shop type sanders. Nobody is going to mistake one for a Delta or Powermatic, but I certainly would trade up a Harbor Freight for one in a heartbeat.

Tony - It sounds like your motor problem might simply be worn out motor bearings. They aren't that hard to replace and should be fairly inexpensive to buy.
Yeah - I was thinking of those, Lots cheaper than a motor, too
Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #6

Richard

I will agree with you on the early Craftsman stuff was pretty good. I think somewhere around the late 70's or early 80's it became more about corporate greed rather than producing quality tools.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbadger View Post
Richard
I think somewhere around the late 70's or early 80's it became more about corporate greed rather than producing quality tools.

Unfortunately, they may have just been ahead of their time.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #8

I think the Craftsman brand took a hit when Kmart bought out Sears. I never heard of long lasting Kmart tools.
Lou.
louhodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #9

My biggest beef with all of these sanders is the table. They move , all the time so besides making sure all of the bearings and stuff are good have a look at the table. I amgoing to make all new brackets and table for my belt sander with pins at the standard angles.
The only sander I have that is good in that regard is a 12" delta disk sander. my combo belt disk is terrible.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #10

I have a Delta bench top 6x48 belt, 8" disc had it 25 yrs never a problem