Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #1

Default Ex-21??????

Okay, I need some help from some of you with EX-21's. I ordered a saw from Seyco. When I got it, I was surprised at the vibration in it, but went ahead and started using it. The one day I was able to cut all day, it got a fairly loud "clatter" that got worse the longer I used it. I called Ray and we talked 3-4 times about possibilities. It never acted up again, but has a lot of vibration and cuts very rough - I'm getting tear out on the top of some plywood I'm cutting. So Ray finally decides to just send me another saw and exchange it for the original saw. It came yesterday and I got it set up on the stand that came with the EX-21 and turned it on. Guess what - it has about the same amount of vibration as the original saw! There isn't much vibration on the table behind the blade (back where the bolts attach the table to the saw body). But even with the blade and in front of the blade (where all the cutting takes place) there is a lot of vibration. I haven't tried yet, but I'm pretty sure, it isn't going to do much better on 1/4" plywood.

Am I expecting too much out of the saw or by chance have I gotten 2 saws that have excessive vibration? I would like to do some finer fret type cutting, and I'm not sure these saws will do it. Is there a secret I'm missing?? I have a 19 year old Delta that I gave $275 for that does this good of a job. I'm just not sure what's going on. Any help from EX-21 owners and users would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
kenreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
Staying Positive

My ex21 I can stand a nickel on edge while cutting. I am very surprised you are encountering this problem. Ray usually tests all saws prior to shipping them. I'd call him again he strives for great customer service.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

My EX21 does not vibrate.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Jan

My EX-21 is vibration free enough that the cup of coffee I sit on it doesn't move when the saw is running........unless I get careless and hit it with the board I'm cutting. Talk with Ray some more. He is golden with his customer service and will not be satisfied until you are completely happy with your saw.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #5

I have heard of others with similar issues lately. When I got my saw I did not have vibration and still do not. I often put pieces to the same project on the saw and do not have them move a bit. I remember test sawing with an Excalibur at a Canadian trade show with the saw on a set of boxes. We stood a looney [Canadian dollar] on it and saw no issue even then.

I understand that there are some adjustments that can be done - many of which may be in the instruction manual. My husband did all the "fine tuning" for me.

I am wondering if General has such a demand for the saws that they are having production problems. Stay talking with Ray.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

Default Ex-21

I just purchased my EX-21 last summer and by no means an expert but have you adjusted the blade tension properly.It seems to me that this could only be the cause of vibration problem,or it may be a poorly fitted or missing rubber mount.It seems odd that you had 2 of the same saws act the same way. Good Luck !
bushman dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Intarsia Moderator

I have an EX 30 and there is some vibration to it - a nickle wouldn't stand a chance. I'm thinking my floor isn't level and I need to do some minor adjustments there - have you tried that?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #8

Thanks for all the thoughts. When you say a nickel will stand on it's edge while running, it that in front of the blade or behind it? I can keep a penny on it's edge behind the blade, but if I get in front of the blade - no way. I've got it on the heavy metal stand that came from Seyco and it is firmly on the concrete floor of my shop with all 4 legs so that's not the issue either.
kenreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
scroller and moderator

I just got an EX21 and a nickel could stand in front or in back of the blade without a problem. No vibration at all.
Diane
PuffityDragon on AFSP
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #10

having spent a lot of time with Ray on the phone, I have learned some questions to ask.

what speed are you running the saw at? I can run my old purple ex30 at about 3/4 speed before any vibration.

If you run the saw without cutting, does it still vibrate? Make sure the blade is tight. sometimes the blade will slip, causing a vibration. can you hear a ping, when you pluck the blade?

What blade are you using and what wood? I use #5 Ur on 3/4 wood. The big old blades don't work. at most I would use a #7.

The ex saws do NOT need to be flat on the floor, like some other saws. I have the back of mine raised about 4".

The more you can tell us the better we can help.
on a Purple EX-30 and a Yellow DW788
keystonecop is offline   Reply With Quote