Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

Lightbulb Old Delta Scroll Saw Races W/New Blade Change

Newbie's first post! Several years ago a good friend gave me his Delta SS250 Shopmaster. Great saw and I was delighted since my first scrollsaw, a Craftstman had just up n' died the day before. (It just hums and the rocker's ain't rockin. Well, more comatose, if not croaked anyway.) ONLY problem with my Delta was a very valuable missing tool, the long-necked blade changer helper. Well, I've had the machine for several years and it's run real nicely, but over the weekend I've had the roughest time with it racing and vibrating like it was Seabiscuit (in the early half of the film.)
The blades I'm using are Bosch and made here in the US which I've purchased at a local big box. No problems with these babies until recently. Not that they're terribly expsensive, but I hate to think about opening up my reserve pkg of four just to test the "warp" by putting the blades actually in the machine. At 60 and using bifocals, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Nor are my fingers.
I've tried even sanding down any "burrs" of grime, etc. thinking that might've thrown things off, timing wise with the rockers. Now, I'd just moved the machine yesterday when most of my problems started (temporarily) while I rebuilt its foundation to reduce vibration. I even filed down the tops n' bottoms of some blades to make them easier to fit in their slots for tightening. And yes, I even "roughed up" the sides for some tightening traction at the ends.
Please ... somebody tell me I'm the guilty one and what I must do to make amends with my Delta to get it so it won't race out of the stall at the lowest speed when I push the starter, (much less have to quickly race my hand back to shut it down lest I blow another blade. (In one instance, it actually "threw" a blade out, which I've yet to recover. Go figure; I can't.)
At one time my friend came by and noticed his old saw racing much the same way and said my blade was the culprit. Maybe it is the Bosch's: who knows. I sure need light bulb moment. Thanks for any help n' tips.
Steven
Steven Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Sawdust Maker

I started with the same machine and gave up when the blower bellows split and Delta did not have a replacement.

As for the blade holders, I had a problem with mine either stripping out or cracking. When I would order parts for the beast, I always got an extra pair.

Don't know why it would be racing since it is a single speed. But, the vibrations may be coming from some of bushings getting worn and loose.

If it is in your budget, I would spring for the Porter Cable as a step up saw or go for a DeWalt or better saw. I think you are just beginning to chase your tail on a saw of that age that is not fully supported at the parts depot.

"Music takes us places language alone can not"--Glenn Frey

Sawdust on the saw table looks like progress.
Jim McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

check to see if your tention is holding after you set it.
my best quick guess of things to try first!
Carl
Carl E Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Just Goofy !

Steven, I agree with Jim, & you should upgrade to a better saw. I know it's easy for me to say that, but, you will not enjoy scrolling, if you don't. Just something for you to think about. Are you going to be happy with what you have? Good Luck

Visit me at--- www.woodcraftsnquilts.com
ubgoofy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #5

Thanks to all, and hope I don't have to get a new saw. Last night I managed to "tame" the beast after realizing the back screw under the table was waaaay off. That helped. Then I noticed that the # of washers etc. I used in my corner bolt-downs were off so I even'd them. That seemed to help since when I did get it going at a handle-able pace at start up (for some miraculous reason) the vibrations also seemed lower, too. (I've started using a very heavy MDF board. I'm also concerned that it too might not even be level.)
One thing I haven't mentioned yet, only because it occured after my initial post: I somehow also "lost" the square nut, or so I thought when it slipped under my fingers and it couldn't be found. That nut wasn't the only thing lost because the usual fears of losing the rest of my nuts n' bolts upstairs would soon follow. I took off the "black box's" protective covering to peek behind and there was nothing there. Back on it went and I'm venturing to guess I might've in my haste to re-fasten it, done something to upset the timing of the variable speed dial.
'Bout an hour later, I unbolted the machine again only with a different purpose, to peek under the whole thing, not just the "hood of the motor." BINGO, there was my nut.
That part of the saga and portion of my sanity restored, I put everything back together. Yes, I even found the spit out and completely intact blade, also under the machine. One would think it would've been contorted into something like metalic "modern expressionistic art," but there it was.
So, all put back together and my son (who's studied welding in his local Voke HS) told me the rocker looked "off," and venturing towards left. He thought my upper rocker was off. (How little he knew.) Indeed, it tilts portside from the user's view. A guy at HD when I told him about it suspected the same and also the speed wheel/motor. But he also pointed me in the direction of a local Delta saw repair shop ... but ever so "conveniently" loca ted 20 miles away and I don't drive anymore.
I wrote to them this a.m. Hope they haven't forgotten what the SS250 is, besides an old Soviet missile.
One thing has worked in my favor, and yes, I've saved the best to the end...when I start it up now, if it races, I reach for the speed wheel and as if to put the breaks on it, I give it some "knuckle-grease" to slow it down and ... that works!
I'm going to do some open heart surgery today to see if there's any dust clogging the motor that could be jamming it into the rpm for 3rd or 4th gear instead of the usual standing pat purr we expect from a car. Maybe that's a bad analogy, but it's all I have for now.
I only use a scroll for general cuts in my line of business, (building custom-designed historically-themed birdhouses, dollhouses and nativity creche displays, and for all intents and purposes, there's nothing that can beat a good workhorse of a scroll saw when it comes to cutting "lumber" for small-buildings. Bandsaw tension problems are far more vexing, and repetitive, too!
NOT GIVING UP YET! And I'll keep ya posted!
Steven
Steven Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote