Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Naughty, but nice!

Default ? ref preparing a DW 788 table surface for use

Hi - Alzheimer has set in and I have forgetten where I saw a recommendation on the forum for preparing the work surface of the DW 788 saw prior to use.

My recently acquired saw had been standing for a couple of years and has gathered dust and grime on the table work surface. I cleaned off most this with a strong soap and water mix, dried it off and followed with a good rubbing down with a rag soaked in a light oil. After this the surface looks clean but feels a little rough to the touch and causes wood to drag a little when cutting. Can someone please recommend the correct way to prepare the table for use and how to then keep it in good condition.

Thanks in advance

Dozing off? - nah, I'm creatively thinking with my eyes closed!
jim_mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

Hi Jim,

On mine, all I did was take a block of wood and a Scotchbrite pad (steel wool would work as well) and go over the whole table surface, removing any rust, oxidation, etc. Once the surface is smooth to the touch, I wipe it off with mineral spirits to remove any dust/debris left over from the Scotchbrite. After the MS flashes off, I apply a coat of furniture paste wax and buff it out. Some say this makes the surface too slippery, so it may be a matter of personal preference. I think it makes sawing easier and helps protect the top from moisture. I reapply every few months, depending on how hard I use the saw.

Good luck, hope this helps and have fun making sawdust!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

Jim ,
Take a look at Rick Hutcheson's site Rick's Scrollsaw. Under Tune Up on the left is a table prep using Teflon .

A pile of other info also .

Roger
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Staying Positive

Jim,
I do the same as Bill. Try to find a paste wax that does not have silicone. and do not use oil on your table top as it will transfer to your wood.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Intarsia Moderator

Carnuba car wax is what I usually use. Found a rust spot on my old one and couldn't find the steel wool so I used really fine sandpaper and it worked - then coated with a can of that table top spray.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Naughty, but nice!

Thanks everybody for the instant help - looks like another trip to the DIY store tomorrow armed with a dictionary in my back pocket!

Now all that I'm missing are some blades from the company in Germany where Mike buys his FD blades from and I'm in business

Cheers!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
IM BACK SORTA

Hey Jim, I sanded mine to 220 with my DA, wiped it down with spirit then applied furniture paste wax ( silicone free). Took awhile to get used to the slick top but I like it now.
Did my table saw too.
Mike should be able to ship blades to you if you can't find them there. If you can't find them and Mike can't send them to you let me know what you need and I'll order them from Mike and mail 'em to you. All it will cost is cost plus a short note to my wife telling her what a nice guy I am. I may have to send you a picture so she knows who you're talking about.
Rob ........................... Oily

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11
oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Naughty, but nice!

Hi Rob - thanks for the offer on the blades. I really appreciate it. Fortunately though I got the name from Freida (Frieke) of the guy in the company in Germany where Mike gets his blades from and he sent me a really quick and helpful email telling me what he can supply me and he can also get them to me by express courier to curb my impatience to try the saw out - LOL! Today I'll get the order away and hopefully I'll be sorted in a week.

I did try a couple of the Dewalt blades that came with the saw but most where large spirals which are too big for the work I want to do and they are also nothing like the quality of the FD blades.

And yep.... I'll be more than happy to send a note to your wife to tell her what a great guy you are even if she will probably read between the lines !!

Thanks again pal

Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Maker of holes in Wood

Jim,

Congrats on the score, I hope your playing the lottery! I use a product called Top Coat and it works great. Comes with a couple of 3M pads and the spray which cleans and protects any cast iron top and it's silicone free. Little on the pricey side at first glance but I bought a bottle about 2.5 years ago and have not used half of it yet and I have two Dewalts. Not sure of the availability in the home country (lucky you!) but worth a look at if you can find it.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com
jowshu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:24 AM   #10

Yep, Johnson's paste floor wax works for me. I start the day with a new coat and a wipe down. Jim, it sounds like you will be up and running in no time at all.