Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Default Need help in UK buying saw. Brand Ideas.

Have now used the clamps supplied by Axminster, and like others have said, fidley to change blades and i have broken two of the bolts which clamp the blades already. To change the bottom blade on the the Clarke machine you have to leave the cover off, which is not very good, or safe. To anyone reading this cheap is twice the price, as I am now looking for another saw that has easy blade changing.

Does anyone have the Axminster AWFS 18 and is happy with it, would really like a Dewalt 788, but no UK supplier.

Derek

Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Staying Positive

Derek,
I took the liberty of moving your post to a dedicated thread so that you will get more specific traffic and the help you need. Hope you don't mind.

Derek is in need of a new saw. He purchased one but it is designed for pin end blades. He got the adaptor but they are clunky and giving him fits as mentioned in another post. What saws are available in UK for flat end (pin less) blades.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-29-2010 at 11:38 AM.
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #3

Hi Derek

Unfortunatley as you have discovered there is very little choice here in the UK mostly all Chinese c**p with different badges. Can you upload a pic of the blade carrier/adaptor the little grub screws only last a couple of blade changes so I changed then on mine.Although the blade change is a bit fiddly on my Scheppach I am getting quite adept at changing the blade less than 30 seconds. as to the axeminister saw I am sorry but know nothing about it.Do yours look like either of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scroll saw 1a 002.jpg (87.8 KB, 11 views)

Never argue with a fool, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by palladin; 11-29-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: to add pic
palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Staying Positive

Derek check out this web page. It might be of help.
Scroll SAW - Prices, Offers & Tests of Scroll SAW

Here is another.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...croll-saws.asp

and one more.
http://www.scrolling.co.uk/workshop.htm

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-29-2010 at 12:48 PM.
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Fallen Angel

I could understand you despairing of ever dealing with APTC again after your experience, Derek, but it has a good reputation and most people are very satisfied with its customer service. You may want to have a look at the Axminster website and consider the Excalibur or the AWFS18*, two saws which seem to satisfy most customers. Are you aware that APTC has a number of showrooms where you can view at least some of their saws? I would certainly not be looking at either of the saws in Wood-n-things' previous link; Diamond saws are no longer in production and the currency exchange rate means that Hegners are ferociously expensive at present.

There are quite a few Brit scrollers who have experience of a range of saws on UK Workshop and The Wood Haven. If you ask there you will almost certainly encounter scrollers who can speak from personal experience.

*If you opt for the AWFS18, the conventional wisdom is that you should buy a Quick Release top clamp from Hegner to replace its own clamp.