Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Default Jet JWBS 14 or JWBS 18 DX bandsaw

Hi everybody;
I have a 14" vintage Sprunger bandsaw. It is still in very good condition and one of the main work horses of my shop with 6" Sprunger jointer.These two mules are descending from 1950s.
However; the height of cut of this machine is rather limited and I cannot resaw what I need for my work from logs 1' to 2' or so in length but with an avarage diameter of 1'.
Among the saws in our markets only Jet seems to be taught of though they are produced in the Far East.
And among the available models ,14" JWBS is appopriate from the viewpoint of price.When I check the technical data I realize that I will be stuck with some logs on this model if it doesn't have or not designed to install a rizer block.
What I want to ask is this: Is this model(JWBS 14) designed to be used with rizer block? I cannot figure it in the pictures,and cannot find any hint on it.If not I want to shift to 18" JWBS 18 DX will be costly to me.And in the pictures the guides of this machine look to be plastic with some sort of blocks instead of roller type.The look of those guides get me hesitate on the 18" this time.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
seyit

Visit My Gallery

Seyit's Gallery
seyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Staying Positive

Have you tried to e-mail them to ask for specifications and answers to your questions about the rollers? This is what I would do. Then you will know for sure.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood-n-things View Post
Have you tried to e-mail them to ask for specifications and answers to your questions about the rollers? This is what I would do. Then you will know for sure.
No , I have not,Mike.
These Far East produced ones are a bit different from the standard models.They are imported directly from PRC. in large quantities by someone nobody knows.Then they are distributed to some hardware stores or online companies where you can not get healty technical data.
May be Jet suggests the guides to be roller type but PRC sends them in some odds shape.Mike ,things are different around this part of the earth .If I mail the main office of Jet in the USA,they will probably send me info on their standard,but the ones from PRC will most likely differ.That is why I am asking here if someone has ever seen one himself.
seyit

Visit My Gallery

Seyit's Gallery
Old 11-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Staying Positive

Thanks for the lesson on international shopping. I did not know they have several sets of standards. I'm still learning something new on a daily basis.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #5

Just out of coruosity; Do you have the same model in the States seen in the first pic? And can you tell the others from it if painted in the same color and stamped the same brand?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A4812EA7-19BB-D109-0A3A5(30A26963BE7(Jet JSS 16).jpg (129.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 96CF7C9A-7784-26D1-E5F7-6576146041AA.jpg (57.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WOODSTARSD16.jpg (14.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SCHEPPACHDECOFLEX.jpg (9.2 KB, 15 views)

Visit My Gallery

Seyit's Gallery
Old 11-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Just another old cutup

Seyit - from what I can find the riser block (Jet 708717 JRB-14 6-Inch Riser Block ) will work for the JWBS-14 according to the manual. They are made by Jet however they are not listed on this Jet website. The do have a Jet 14" Deluxe Pro Bandsaw, Model JWBS-14DXPRO which has a 12-inch resaw capacity and has a closed stand - basically like the JWBS-14CS with a built-in riser block which is sturdier than adding a riser block to a 14OS or 14CS. However - this is based on what is available here in the US. Don't know what the ones you are looking at look like - I did find a Jet site in China and they look a little different than the ones in the US.

Hope this is of some help.
J Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Michael View Post
Seyit - from what I can find the riser block (Jet 708717 JRB-14 6-Inch Riser Block ) will work for the JWBS-14 according to the manual. They are made by Jet however they are not listed on this Jet website. The do have a Jet 14" Deluxe Pro Bandsaw, Model JWBS-14DXPRO which has a 12-inch resaw capacity and has a closed stand - basically like the JWBS-14CS with a built-in riser block which is sturdier than adding a riser block to a 14OS or 14CS. However - this is based on what is available here in the US. Don't know what the ones you are looking at look like - I did find a Jet site in China and they look a little different than the ones in the US.

Hope this is of some help.
Thanks,Michael.
below are the ones available here.
seyit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JWBS 12.jpg (5.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg JWBS 14.jpg (4.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 26828_dc.jpg (5.1 KB, 8 views)

Visit My Gallery

Seyit's Gallery
Old 11-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Just another old cutup

Seyit, the one on the left looks like the JWBS-14OS they sell here in the US - CPO JET lists it with the riser block as an option for it - however the Walter Meier Mfg. site (they make JET and Wilton tools) does not have a listing for the riser block - they may have discontinued making them since they have come out with a new JWBS-14DXPRO which has the 12-inch resaw capacity. I was able to track down a JET distributor in Istanbul ( BURLA ) and they show it as the JWBS-14. You can also download the manual from this site ... I tried it but the manual appears to be for the 14-inch version in your 2nd picture, not the one in the 1st. They might be able to tell you if the riser block would work on this model.

The one in the middle looks like the JWBS-14 sold outside of the Americas - and shown in their European mfg. site (no matter what country you pick outside the Americas it takes you to the European site). The design is such that I do not see how a riser block could be installed on it.

I am sorry that I could not be of more help to you.
J Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #9

Default US Version Jet 18"

Seyit

I have the 18" model similar to your third picture and it has bearings for the blade guides. Here is a link to the one I have JET Tools - JWBS-18QT-3, 18" Bandsaw with Quick Tension, 3HP, 1Ph

I am not sure about the European models but I can tell you that the one I have is a workhorse.

Here are a couple of pics of it for you to compare. If I can answer any questions for you ask away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00049 (2).jpg (67.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00048 (2).jpg (59.8 KB, 6 views)

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Michael View Post
Seyit, the one on the left looks like the JWBS-14OS they sell here in the US - CPO JET lists it with the riser block as an option for it - however the Walter Meier Mfg. site (they make JET and Wilton tools) does not have a listing for the riser block - they may have discontinued making them since they have come out with a new JWBS-14DXPRO which has the 12-inch resaw capacity. I was able to track down a JET distributor in Istanbul ( BURLA ) and they show it as the JWBS-14. You can also download the manual from this site ... I tried it but the manual appears to be for the 14-inch version in your 2nd picture, not the one in the 1st. They might be able to tell you if the riser block would work on this model.

The one in the middle looks like the JWBS-14 sold outside of the Americas - and shown in their European mfg. site (no matter what country you pick outside the Americas it takes you to the European site). The design is such that I do not see how a riser block could be installed on it.

I am sorry that I could not be of more help to you.
Michael,thank you very much.I appreciate your efforts a lot.
The one in the first pic is 12" model and rizer block works with it,but I don't want a 12" machine.With same look I see 14" model in the US,but it is not available here.What is available here as 14" is the one in the second pic,but from the pic I can't figure if a rizer block works with it.I have serious doubt.And the third one is the 18" model available here.With it I don't need a rizer block but the blade guides look to be plastic( I mean the cluster there) but not roller type.
16" model is very close to 18" in price,but there is a great gap between 14" and 18"(Almost by half). That is why I am searching about the rizer block for the 14" model.
Thank you very much again.
seyit

Visit My Gallery

Seyit's Gallery