Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Tools and Blades
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Tools and Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #31
Southern Alaskan

I haven't seen anyone chime in on the Dremel 1800 which is what I am currently working with. I am pretty happy with it and haven't experienced any problems yet. Keep in mind that my opinion is based on not knowing the abilities of other saws...so I am a bit biased.
Rivari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #32
Moderator CUT IT OUT

Default What is good for one is not good for another

These are my ramblings, take them with a grain of salt.

Some people absolutely hate a saw that only handles pin end blades, yet pin end blades are still sold!. If you are not doing lots of small inside cuts then you don't really need pinless blades.
Not everyone will cut wood wider than 16 inches.
I don't believe in over buying a product, I wont say anything against the high end saws but I will say they are out of my price range.
I havent done much scrolling this year due to other things happening in my life but I do like to scroll a couple of hours a day. I have a saw that was less than $200 new and it has served me well.
My biggest concern in any saw is vibration, it can be very fatiguing to use a saw that vibrates lots. There are ways around this, even with a cheap saw. You can place the saw on a stand and have an auxilary table, like a card table with a hole in the middle for the blade, independent of the stand to cut on.
Another concern is having a blade that doesnt show lateral vibration when it cuts. The blade should run true and relatively straight up and down.
I won't get into the physics of which mechanism tracks the best. It too is a matter of personal preference.
The bottom line is think of what you are going to cut with your saw.
Buy the best saw you can afford that will do the job.
That doesnt mean buy a Ferrari to go to the store to get milk.
You may want to check out yard sales for second hand saws, just bring along a fellow woodworker to make sure you don't get a pig in a poke.
It seems yard sales are an outlet for used exercise equipment and scroll saws.
CanadianScroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #33

Just my opinion and my experiance here guys, this is coming from a complete novice.

I bought a Dremel 1800 from Home Depot and proceeded to cut chunks out of a piece of cedar I had laying around. I learned 3 things very quickly, 1- wear a mask when cutting cedar, 2- Dremel doesn't make a very good scroll saw and I didn't even have anything to compare, 3- Home Depot's return policy is a good thing. I decided a bit more research was in order so I started surfing. I have found that a good scroll saw cost a pretty penny, BUT if you invest in a cheap one you probably will not enjoy the hobby thus making even a cheap investment worthless in the long run. I decided the best thing for me was to start hunting down classifieds and garage sales in the hopes of finding a decent deal. I found a place called Greenstreets which is classifieds from the Dallas/Houston area. A kind older gentleman was retiring from all wood working due to advancing arthritis and had a few tools for sale. I bought all he had sight unseen. A 16 year old 10" Craftsman tablesaw for $90.00 and an 18 year old RBI 220-3 Hawk for $185.00. It was an excellent find as both of these tools were impeccably maintained and truth be told are IMO better than most new tools on the market today. The old RBI certainly outperformed the Dremel in everyway with the possible exception of the "trying to get up and run out the door by itself" category, which the Dremel excelled at. Anyway, I have cut two small projects thus far, a small dove and a slightly larger pair of dolphins. I really enjoyed it and it was truely relaxing, I suspect I will stick with this.
Sykox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:36 AM   #34
Southern Alaskan

Sykox, perhaps a more solid platform/table was in order? Myself I bolted my Dremel 1800 to a work bench consisting of older kitchen countertop with attached 2X6 legs and base and have had minimal vibration problems depending on the material being cut. With that I will disagree that the Dremel is a vibration monster but I will agree that Home Depot has an excellent return policy which I am happy you were able to use.

I firmly beleive that the what saw is best question is nothing more then a restated version of what truck is best...Chevy, Ford or Dodge (yes I leave the foreign "trucks" out of such a question). Bottom line is that if you are progressing in your art and find enjoyment out of it then whatever you are using is fine. If your in the hobby just to sport the biggest and baddest saw for bragging rights then your out of touch. For those among this UBB that I beleive are among the best scrollers around I will wager this. I could put you in front of the lowest end saw around and I will bet you could still create works that would amaze the masses.

To the original question of what saw is best, whatever you can afford and enjoy...that is the best saw of all. Happy scrolling!
Old 04-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #35
Grizz

Default Good Point

Rivari,

Well stated. I have found that this is true with so many things in life. Preference is big with many things in life. Often times, just because I don't like something does not make it wrong and if I do like something does not necesssarily make it right. It is just a matter of personal preference.

Now, let's discuss blades, brands and sizes. LOL

(just leave out those spiral blades, now, those are just wrong!)
Old 04-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #36

I agree with you Rivari on what you can afford and enjoy. Perhaps I didn't give the Dremel as much of a chance as I should have, I did try it bolted to a 3 legged homemade stand on a concrete floor before I finally gave up on it though. Perhaps mine was just not setup properly. I also agree with the fact that the guys here could scroll phenominal pieces on a 50 dollar chinese import but I don't think it's fair to compare it to the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. These are trucks that have an equivilant amount of R&D poured into them and are comparably priced. I just can't say that for the scroll saw comparison. Yes, the lower priced brands work and sometimes work well; as well as the more expensively priced brands?...that's a personal preference but there is a reason why RBI, Hegner, Eclipse, etc... cost 5 times more than the Dremel.

After all that fluff I will close with I agree with Rivari on most points but as with most things in life, especially tools I've found, you will get what you pay for. Try out the saws you are interested in and make your choice based on that if possible. It's really the only way to know if you are going to like the saw, whichever brand it is.

P.S. Grizz, I refuse to even chime in on blades, sizes, or brands BUT I agree 100% on the spirals. I can't cut squat with those things! LOL

Last edited by Sykox; 04-13-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Sykox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #37
Southern Alaskan

Ah Geez,

I love my spiral blades, it took alot of learning but I enjoy using them on many projects. I will forgo any further comments on this topic.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #38

Oh now I have to disagree and disagree 1000000 percent A$250 saw not a resale but a new $250 saw does not compare to a $500 Dewalt or any of the top of the line saws. NOt even close. Yes you can scroll many beautiful things on these saws but you are comparing apples to oranges. There are so many factors to look at when comparing. You first would have to do nothing to eliminate vibration because there simply isn't any and if there is there may be a fault either due to something you are doing or a manufactor fault. You say it is like buying a truck yes but compare models to models and not the top of the line to a bottom of the line model truck. You want to look at $250 saw then compare all of them and there are tons of them. But the top of the line is limited. I am not by no means knocking a $250 saw for I started on a pin end Dremel about 20 years ago. I thought I did quite well with it but try a better saw and you will see the difference right away. Ease of blade changing, no vibration, Ease of tensioning, better dust blowers, better and more solid frame to take the vibration out., larger size, better motors that are built to last a long time. better speed controls that do not break down easily. I can go on and on but please do me a favor and do not compare the two priced saws together you are giving me adgeda here. There are those that use leg powered saws and hand coping saws to produce some of the finest fret work I have ever seen. Just as Mike from Mike's Workshop and he will show you some. So that is not the point about what can be done with what saw. It comes down to ease of use and relaxation doing it. If you feel relaxed and not all tensed up waiting for the blade to break or something as vibration shaking your fillings out then by all means enjoy your saw. Lets make sawdust not war.

Last edited by jttheclockman; 04-13-2005 at 07:15 PM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #39
Southern Alaskan

Does anyone know of a good set of hair clippers, we may need to trim JT's hackles down a bit.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:21 PM   #40
Fallen Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivari
Does anyone know of a good set of hair clippers, we may need to trim JT's hackles down a bit.

Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote