Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Scroll Saw Puzzles
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #11

Bill, it sounds as if your blades just weren't sharp enuf. I must admit I don't know why you would use a pattern but, that aside, getting rid of the extra 1/8 wood would help make the blade cut more freely. Feel free to email me direct if I can be of assistance. Carter

CarterJ636@aol.com
Carter-Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #12

Bill,
3/8th of an inch of BB and all of the glue (and modge-podge) is probably too much fo the blades you are using. The burn can also be caused if you blade seed is high and your feed-rate is slow. Have you tried different brands of the same size? The teeth per inch on a 2/0 can range from 25 to 30, you may want less.You have a choice of MGR, skip and double-tooth blades. Ask your supplier for some samples.
Grab a piece of scrap and just start cutting pieces off of it. When you first start cutting randomly or freehand, you may make a piece or two that is smaller than you like but it is really no big deal and "mistakes" will become rare with practice.

Danny,
I use spray adhesive regularly for its ease and quickness but I have doubts about how they define "permanent". Variations of wood / white glue have been used by puzzle makers for over 250 years and the paper is well adhered to the surviving examples. I also have doubts about various coatings, will they yellow, how permanaent are they, etc. I like to do puzzles and I really dislike puzzles with a shiny surface.
joes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice. I followed Carters approach and did another freehand. I also lowered the speed of the blade. Yes I am still slow. LOL Think that will improve with practice. I did not get burn on the last picture. Problem on it was that the clear spray I used left some funny images on the picture surface. I went ahead and finished cutting though because I need the practice. I will get another spray for the next one.
Carter
I did find cutting freehand more relaxing. I cut somewhat larger pieces but just cut what felt right using color lines where it seemed to fit.
BillLaSalle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BillLaSalle For This Useful Post:
Jeff R (05-05-2013)
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
Banned

Default Flying Dutchman Superior Puzzle Blades

I have been using the FD-Superior Puzzle blades on my puzzles and I use the two board method. One 1/4" BB with my pattern on a 1/8". The blades have such a leadoff that I am cutting at almost a 45 degree angle. What can I do about this. This angle will not allow the blade to make a square cut. My saw is an Excalibur.
glenpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Staying Positive

Sounds like too little tension. Carter will say why the pattern? Go freehand and save yourself some wood too.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
3_M

You are right Mike, he does not have enough tension. He maybe also pushing a little too had into the blade and not enough speed. Let the blade do the cutting, they say. I have also a video on my web site from Carter.
FD Mike

Home of the FD Blades
3_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpickard View Post
I have been using the FD-Superior Puzzle blades on my puzzles and I use the two board method. One 1/4" BB with my pattern on a 1/8". The blades have such a leadoff that I am cutting at almost a 45 degree angle. What can I do about this. This angle will not allow the blade to make a square cut. My saw is an Excalibur.
Glen I found out the hard way with using the FD Superior Puzzle blades. Either I was doing something wrong or they just were not good to be cutting that thinkness. I have always used the FD-UR #1 blades for all my puzzles. This blade really does Great. Hope this helps.... Danny :+}
danny melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #18

Anyone using plain old MDF from a local store? Wouldn't it work well - stable / won't warp?

If I attached a pattern to the back side, would the front (the picture) get damaged from the blade?
I would put a paper towel between the picture and table so the picture doesn't get scratched (hopefully).

It would be great if someone (other than me, needless to say) made a program (or plug-in for Photoshop) that would split a picture into puzzle pieces. This way, if you screwed up, you'd be able to easily print just that piece of the picture and recut it. The downside is that I think the kerf is needed in order for the pieces to fit together. Otherwsiee, you could make a puzzlke in which none of the image is cut away.

I don't understand the part about cutting along border/lines in the image. Aren't lines in the image how people figure out how to put a puzzle together?

thanks,
Eric
Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #19

Headed to Home Depot but not sure if I'll buy MDF - I later read some of it has Formaldehyde in it.
Block is offline   Reply With Quote