Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Scroll Saw Puzzles
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Default Jigsaw Puzzle Tutorial: Double Cutting

The combination of reading Shawn's recent tutorial and my desire to make a trick puzzle have resulted in this small tutorial on how to double cut a trick puzzle. In this case, it's a really evil trick puzzle.

First - take a look at this short video that shows the puzzle I made.

YouTube - six piece trick puzzle

I'll be following on shortly with the step by step on how I made this puzzle.

John
Old 12-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #2

I'm calling this puzzle "Six Piece Trick Puzzle". I'm not all that original.

I primarily cut freehand puzzles, but this trick puzzle begins with a pattern that I created in Powerpoint.

The base pattern is just a circular ring, divided into 6 pieces. It also includes a duplicate subsection, which is how the double cut is made.

I made the 6 divisions uneven (i.e. they are not 60 deg sections). I did that so it wouldn't be immediately obvious which section was double cut. If one section was larger than the rest, it would be obvious that was the "trick" piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3811.jpg (62.2 KB, 154 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf six_piece_trick.pdf (71.4 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by iohonnes; 12-23-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
iohonnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #3

Step 1: Mount the pattern and cut out the sections. It's as easy as it sounds.

The section marked "A" is where the double cutting will take place. Essentially, we are going to replace section "A" with a slightly larger section (let's call it "A prime") from the duplicate subsection. "A prime" will interlock with the base puzzle on both sizes, but will be too big to fit into the puzzle correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3795.jpg (34.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3796.jpg (56.8 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #4

Step 2: The First Double Cut

We are going to cut two layers of the puzzle at one time. That's a double cut. Theoretically, the top will be able to interlock with the bottom and vice versa.

To start, I placed the duplicate subsection on top of the base puzzle and secured with masking tape. I made pencil marks were I wanted the entry and exit cuts to go. The marks are aligned with the right hand edge of section "A" on the base piece.
IMG_3797.jpg

I then cut the piece using a FD-SP blade. The blade is very thin and not intended to cut through 1/2" material, so you need to take it slow. If you go to fast or apply too much side to side pressure, the blade will deflect and cause an angle cut (or even break). If you end up with an angle cut, the top piece will not be able to interlock with the bottom piece and the entire puzzle will need to be either re-cut or "fixed" by performing some re-work (essentially some delicate touch up of the offending interlocks with the saw or sandpaper - not a fun time!).

Here is the finished cut.
IMG_3799.jpg

Remove the tape and discard the small waste section from the top piece.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #5

Step 3 - The Second Double Cut

This is where the trick part of the puzzle comes in. I've already made one cut where the top and bottom sections share a common interlock shape. Now, I'll make a second cut, but this time the top piece will be shifted slightly.

In the picture below, you can see the blade exit point on the bottom piece. I shifted the top piece so that the corresponding cut is now about 3/4" inch to the right of the bottom cut. I also marked where the left hand side of the "A" section is on the bottom piece. That's where I'm going to make the second double cut.
IMG_3800.jpg

After aligning the pieces, I again secured with masking tape and started cutting.
IMG_3801.jpg
Old 12-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #6

The Results of Double Cutting

After discarding section "A" from the bottom ring and keeping the double cut top section "A prime", we have a ring with a piece that is obviously too large to be inserted. But the interlocks LOOK like they should work on each side, and they do!
IMG_3802.jpg

I cut the rest of the arc into the remaining five pieces; I didn't use any special tricks or cuts. They were just normal freehand cuts using the template lines as entry and exit guides.

The following pictures show how the all of the pieces interlock in some way.

IMG_3803.jpg
IMG_3804.jpg

And if "A prime" is inserted into the puzzle "correctly", the overlap just shifts somewhere else!
IMG_3805.jpg

That's the trick. The puzzle can never be correctly assembled.

Last edited by iohonnes; 12-23-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: forgot a step!
iohonnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #7

Step 4 - Finishing

I've been itching to make this puzzle for a long time, but I've always been hung up on the image that should appear on the puzzle. The image would have to be exactly the same at the interlocks of both double cuts, but the image on piece "A prime" would have to have a longer arc length than the image on piece "A".

Given my limited Photoshop and Inkscape skills, I couldn't think of an easy way to achieve that, without drawing something myself and than carefully aligning the pieces for the double cut.

I was in a meeting on Monday morning (love those meeting!) when it struck me that I could avoid the art problem (and the alignment problem) by painting the pieces AFTER the double cut. I'm not an artist, so I finished the piece with a really simple design.

The first step was to give a quick coat of paint to all the pieces.
IMG_3806.jpg

I cut the interlocks so that it was obvious to the assembler which piece went where; I wanted the paint job to continue that trend so I started to dab white paint on the pieces ensure that some white paint when right on the interlocks - giving a look of continuity across the pieces. I painted five of the pieces first.
IMG_3807.jpg

I wanted that last piece to have the same continuity, so I disassembled the two end pieces in the arc and rebuilt the bottom section with the extra piece. I finished painting them in the same way.
IMG_3808.jpg
Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #8

And the trick puzzle is complete! We have a six piece puzzle where all of the pieces interlock and the art work is continuous across the entire puzzle, but the puzzle can not be assembled.

IMG_3811.jpg

As I said in the video, Stave Puzzles released a commercial version of this in the 1980s. They obviously did a much more professional job with the art work and the cutting. I have no insight into how they actually cut their version; there can't be too many ways to cut a puzzle like this, so I assume they did it in a similar way.

If I were to do it again, I would change two things.

1) I *might* use a slightly large blade to make the double cuts. The FD-SPs are not made for cutting two layers.

2) I would make the overlap region a little smaller (maybe 1/2"?) On my first attempt at making this puzzle, I used an overlap of 1/4" but I was able to "stretch" the puzzle to fit in (more like wedge in) the last piece. In this copy, the overlap was large enough that it's obvious that the piece will never fit in.

And, for the record, double cutting can be used in normal puzzles too. Puzzles that can actually be assembled. I just wanted to annoy my wife for Christmas.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #9

Thank you.
Wonderful idea and execution.

Living well is the best revenge

Visit my gallery

Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
Big_red_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
Puzzle Making Muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iohonnes View Post
.... I just wanted to annoy my wife for Christmas.
HaHaHa !! You're an evil man, John! But I likes ya!

Thanks for sharing that very devious puzzle concept!

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote