Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Scroll Saw Puzzles
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #71
Puzzle Making Muggle

Thanks so much for the compliments, Vicki! I wish that I've been able to get more done on it....just been so busy with the Holidays.

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #72

Shawn,

I want to add my "Thanks" for providing us with this wonderful tutorial. When I started reading it, I thought, "This is great--I need to make a copy!" So I tediously copied and pasted the text and photos into MS Word. Even after I reduced the size of the pictures, I ended up with a 30-page document! This is a text book to study, indeed. Anyway, I got a chuckle when I got to the end and saw that Vicki did the same thing. Now, IF I was really smart, I would have read the tutorial FIRST, then I would have asked Vicki for a copy of her Word file. Sigh!

Anyway, when I finish my current projects, I'm going to look for suitable subject to try my hand at your technique. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tim Calderwood
timcalderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #73

Shawn, I have been reading the SSW Forum for a little more than a year now and this is the most wonderful piece of information I have seen so far. Thank you for sharing your knowledge in such an understanding way, I won't even pretend to be able to do this but it is such a pleasure to read about it. I don't know anything about computers, but I am going to try to compile this and save it & any future articles from you.
THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #74
Puzzle Making Muggle

Hi, Tim and Rick. I'm glad you enjoyed it and found it useful! I hope to add to it once I get caught up from things I fell behind on during the Holidays.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #75

Shawn, the amount of info in this thread is phenomenal! I have just started cutting figurals into my puzzles and now I know what I did wrong on the first one. I can't wait to try another. As fpr multilayered ones........maybe later this year.

george

delta 650, hawk G426
sawdustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #76
Puzzle maker

FAB-YOU-LUSS. Excellent tutorial, Shawn.
BELLA PUZZLES
http://www.bellapuzzles.com (blog)
http://www.bellapuzzles.etsy.com
"Bella Puzzles" on Facebook
Bella Puzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #77

Great job Shawn. I hope you have seen the 2' x 5' multi-layered puzzle (with lots of tricks & special cutting techniques) at www.oldpuzzles.com. This was designed by Melinda Shebell and sections were cut by jigsaw puzzle cutters from all over the U.S.
I like to use Post-It brand tape. It is white tape with the same stickiness as the yellow Post-It notes. I draw, trace or glue the figural image onto the tape. It can be re-positioned and only leaves a slight residue if you leave it for days or weeks. A rubber cement eraser takes that right off.
Cheers,
Joe S. I collect wooden jigsaw puzzles
joes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #78
Puzzle Making Muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes View Post
Great job Shawn. I hope you have seen the 2' x 5' multi-layered puzzle (with lots of tricks & special cutting techniques) at www.oldpuzzles.com. This was designed by Melinda Shebell and sections were cut by jigsaw puzzle cutters from all over the U.S.
I like to use Post-It brand tape. It is white tape with the same stickiness as the yellow Post-It notes. I draw, trace or glue the figural image onto the tape. It can be re-positioned and only leaves a slight residue if you leave it for days or weeks. A rubber cement eraser takes that right off.
Cheers,
Joe S. I collect wooden jigsaw puzzles
Thanks, everyone!

Joe, I have to admit that I have seen Full of the Dickens and I think that it is an extraordinary work made by many talented cutters. I did not know that it was multi-layered, however. That even makes it more impressive to me. Out of curiosity, was it created (the multi-layered aspect, that is) using a similar technique which I use? If not, I'd be curious to see what appraoch was used.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #79

Shawn, if you look closely at Full of the Dickens you will see that the frame around each of the images is on the top layer. The Dickens' characters at the intersections are also part of the top layer. The technique Melinda used (she did all of the initial sectioning and cut all of the multi-layer parts). is pretty much the same. There are key pieces at intervals but, if I remember right, all of these were cut so that the top and bottom parts of the keys are identical, basically a double thickness piece.
I have a American battleship puzzle from the 1940s or 50s that was cut with two layers but they cut the outline of the top layer (the ship) and completely glued it and then cut it into pieces.
Cheers, Joe S.
joes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #80

Cute I like it! Thanks for sharing!
LPasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
figural, jigsaw puzzle, mulit-layered, tutorial