Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Scroll Saw Puzzles
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #21
Puzzle Making Muggle

(Step 2): Now we're ready to cut these elements into their individual pieces. This was tricky with this puzzle as these first pieces are small and somewhat fragile, and as small pieces are prone to that dreaded "uplifting" which causes scrollers hearts to skip a beat. You know, that phenomenon where the piece gets stuck to the blade and lifts off the table. Care must be used, therefore, to place proper pressure on the peice while cutting.

Another option here would be to cut the pieces out of the truck, etc, while still part of the main board. In other words cut out piece by piece instead of cutting out an item and then cutting that into smaller pieces.

Anyways, cut the chosen element into smaller pieces, while cutting smaller "anchor" pieces along the way. These will later be glued to the underlying board to hold the layer being worked on in place. When working on a large section, placing anchors along the edges, every few inches works well.

With these first little elements on the first layer, however, the anchors will be closer together.

Try to keep your anchor pieces somewhat small, because after they are glued to the underlying layer, they will be cut out as a piece again (glued to a larger base piece).

This picture shows the anchors I have designated and cut.

When cutting your jigsaw pieces, always cut interlocking "tabs" to connect to adjoining pieces. I'll talk more about tabs later.

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
Puzzle Making Muggle

Cut each of your foreground elements the same way. With this piece, I first cut out my anchors.

I later cut the center section again.

Here is the man with the monkey:

His legs, his arm, and the cart's wheel will be anchors.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
Puzzle Making Muggle

(Step 3): Glueing the anchors to the next board.

This step requires a bit of patience and care. The goal is to get each of the anchor pieces glued strongly to their exact identical images on the underlying board. You will want all of the pieces which fill in the spaces between the anchors to fit nicely after glueing.

I find that the best way to accomplish this is to use the following technique:

First you will need state of the art devices.....Toothpicks!

Apply a good wood glue to the back of the anchor pieces. Cover as much of the piece as possible without using too much, so as to avoid spillout. Exercise caution to not get glue on the adjoining pieces. If so, simply wipe them clean before moving to the next step.

Now, turn the section you are working on over, and place on top of the next puzzle board to be used. Apply gentle but significant pressure to allow initial adhesion. Don't hold too long, as you don't want any leaked glue to affix adjoining pieces together. Now. gently remove the adjoining fill-in pieces between the anchors. The anchors should hold, but if they pop up during this step, place them back into position with pressure.

You will be left with your next puzzle board, with the overlying anchor pieces attached to it.

Now it is important to place the board with it's newly glued anchors under pressure for a while. I will lay a piece of paper or soft material on top of the anchors, and then place a scrap piece of plywood on that. Put some weights on the plywood for pressure and allow to dry overnight.

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 12-13-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #24

Shawn
Thanks for the tutorial been following it in amazement way above my ability looking forward to the next installment
Thanks for showing us
Tom
etnoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #25
Puzzle Making Muggle

So now I'm up to Step 4: Go back to Step 1 using the next sequential board.

(Step 1): Now I need to cut the "middle ground" elements out of my next puzzle board.

**Please note that on the following photos, you will not see the anchor pieces glued to the middle board. That is because I anticipated how I wanted to cut the middle board early in the process and cut it (and took my pictures) before glueing the anchors. For the purpose of this thread, pretend they are there for now.

So here is board #2 for the Middle Layer.

My goal will be to cut out everything except for the background portions of the picture.

I am going to cut along the roofline to make the Toy Shop and it's adjoining buildings stand out from those behind them.

I'll try to cut out this little cat on the rooftop as well, so that he is part of the "middle ground."

Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #26
Puzzle Making Muggle

This is the first part of the puzzle where significant border cutting is involved.

When cutting a puzzle's border, any shape can be used depending on the puzzlist's discretion. You might choose curves and wavy lines, or something more straight.

I've chosen to do straight borders here. If using shaped borders for a multi-layered puzzle, the layers would need to be stack-cut so that they fit nicely on top of one another after assembly.

And here we are:

Old 12-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #27
Puzzle Making Muggle

Now remember that this layer has a nice archway we can take advantage of. By dropping it's interior out, one will be able to gaze through it to the third layer.

I chose to achieve this by making some inside cuts before cutting this board into it's puzzle pieces.

To do this, simply drill a small hole into the waste space.

Next, feed the blade through the hole and cut out the "waste" similar to doing fretwork. Four holes/frets were required here.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #28
Puzzle Making Muggle

Here is how our middle board is cut relative to the final third (background) board.

Now we're ready for Step 2 again: Cutting out the anchor pieces and then cutting the rest of the board in to pieces.

Here are the anchor pieces I cut for Layer 2.

At this point, since the fill-in area between the anchors is so large, I decided to glue the new anchors before cutting this layer into pieces.

The technique was the same. Apply glue to the backs of the anchors, place the whole cut section of board #2 on top of board #3, press briefly, and then remove the fill in area. Press and dry overnight.

Here is board #3 with the newly glued anchors on top of it. The borders of board #3 were cut prior to this photo being taken.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #29
Puzzle Making Muggle

By now, you've probably figured out that some cut pieces will be multi-layered thick. This is true, and is one of the features which make a puzzle like this unique.

Here, you will see that as a layer is being cut into it's individual pieces, an anchor piece will occassionally be encountered.

(Tip: When cutting freehand wooden jigsaw puzzles, most cutters start from the edge, and work their way in. Always make sure your edge pieces interlock well with those beside them. Well interlocking edges will help to keep the center pieces better in place.)

When you encounter the anchor piece, simply cut a piece out around it. This is why it is important to keep your anchors on the smaller side...so that the base piece is not too large.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #30
Puzzle Making Muggle

These multi-layered pieces are fun for the assembler to come across. In "Greeting the Season," the corner piece by the red truck is actually an anchor piece, glued to another anchor piece, making it three layers thick in the end.

Tags
figural, jigsaw puzzle, mulit-layered, tutorial